Free and Open to the Public Presentation

Discuss self defense and carry / EDC / tactics ...
bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Free and Open to the Public Presentation

Post by bladebum » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:07 am

Andy Brown, former Air Force Security Policeman, will give a presentation on the "active shooter" incident and the air-show-
practice crash of a B-52 Bomber that occurred in 1994 at Fairchild Air Force Base. Brown will also be on hand to sign copies of his book,
Warnings Unheeded: Twin Tragedies at Fairchild Air Force Base. If you do not already have a copy of the book, they will be available for sale at the event. Following Brown's presentation, a panel of law enforcement and security professionals will answer questions regarding "active shooter" incidents.
This event is free and open to the public but donations will be accepted for a Law Enforcement Memorial Project.
24 October 2017, 7:00 to 9:00 pm, Felts Field Honor Point Museum.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: CDA
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: AAC MPW
Next Firearm: Uzi/MP5/Mac-10

Re: Free and Open to the Public Presentation

Post by Torakan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:19 pm

Who are the “LE and Security” professionals on the panel?
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

Sandaholic
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: 22lrAR cause its fun
Next Firearm: P226

Post by Sandaholic » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:18 pm

I'm going to try and make it out to this and buy a copy of the book as well. Thanks for the heads up.
It's unfortunate that so many have succumb to the propaganda and new age terrorism. Most of you believed the 2nd amendment gave teeth to our ability to fight for our rights. Now through coercion on a massive scale, you want to restrict our freedoms because of your fear.

Cheers to the Trump years! Here's to hoping justice returns to the land and we get 4 more!

pacnw
Gun Trader
City: North of Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: one that goes bang!!

Post by pacnw » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:43 pm

This is not meant to be negative, but what is the attraction of these events?
There was another thread on this recently and I did not understand it either.

Again, not meant to be negative or demeaning, just trying yo understand why someone would want to attend this or read a book about it. :?: :?:

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:44 pm

pacnw wrote:This is not meant to be negative, but what is the attraction of these events?

Again, not meant to be negative or demeaning, just trying yo understand why someone would want to attend this or read a book about it. :?: :?:
This may help... :)

https://www.facebook.com/WarningsUnheeded/
https://www.facebook.com/pg/WarningsUnh ... e_internal
https://www.facebook.com/pg/WarningsUnh ... e_internal

STORY
In one tragic week at Fairchild Air Force Base, an "active shooter" terrorized the base hospital and a talented but reckless pilot crashed a B-52 bomber near the flight line. Both fatal tragedies had been repeatedly predicted by numerous airmen and mental health professionals. In "vivid and thoroughly researched detail" Warnings Unheeded delivers an unprecedented, revealing look at the events that led to the twin tragedies.
The book follows an "active shooter" as he progresses toward his crime and dispels the myth that these incidents are random acts of violence committed without warning by otherwise normal individuals.
In a parallel account, Warnings Unheeded tells the story of a veteran pilot who was known for exceeding the maneuvering limits of his B-52 bomber. His reckless flying not only put the lives of his crew at risk, but also the lives of the air show spectators who gathered to watch him perform. When attempts to ground the pilot were unsuccessful, several aviators refused to fly with him and "predicted the worst air show disaster in history."
Warnings Unheeded is authored by Andy Brown, the man who ended the hospital killing spree, and is a result of more than seven years of writing and research. Brown "masterfully weaves" the stories together and intersperses them with chapters revealing the preparations he made that enabled him to end a pistol-versus-rifle gunfight with a 70 yard shot from his handgun. Brown also writes of his experience with the aftermath of the shooting and encourages others to learn from his mistakes when it comes to dealing with the effects of trauma.
These empowering stories are exhaustively researched and presented in an objective, narrative style that shows what can happen when authorities become complacent, when the precursors of violence are ignored and when the lessons from history are forgotten.
Until we are able to prevent these tragedies, we as responsible citizens and police must be prepared to intervene. Learn from history, remain vigilant and trust your intuition.
Stay Aware, Stay Safe.
- Andy Brown

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/n ... h-impa/#/0
http://fairchildhospitalshooting.com/
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=101953&start=40
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

AFCop
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Inland Northwest
State: Inland Northwest
Favorite Firearm: CZ
Next Firearm: DA/SA

Post by AFCop » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:49 am

pacnw wrote:This is not meant to be negative, but what is the attraction of these events?

I like to learn as much as I can about mass-casualty incidents and have read quite a few books about previous incidents. I have learned quite a bit from past incidents. Among other things, I use the information to help me visualize what I would do and how I hope I would respond if I ever find myself in a similar situation. I especially appreciate books that delve into the perpetrator's past and show their behavior and actions leading up to the moment they commit their crime. Many of the perpetrators have similar traits, behaviors and circumstances. If I encounter someone in my life who exhibits behavior indicative of a person who is likely to become violent, I can take steps toward intervention.
The book, Warnings Unheeded, goes into great detail about the behavior and actions of the perpetrator as he progressed toward his crime of killing and wounding several people at the Fairchild hospital. There were several missed opportunities to prevent both tragedies. The stories in the book contain a lot of lessons that can be learned from those tragedies.

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:31 pm

This event is tomorrow night... :)

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry

Post by hatchdog » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:51 pm

I plan to be there! :D

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:41 am

hatchdog wrote:I plan to be there! :D
Take your book and Andy will be happy to sign it for you. Be sure to let him know that you're SGT. :)