Pocket guns

Discuss self defense and carry / EDC / tactics ...
miller
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Chattaroy
State: WA
Next Firearm: Ruger #1
SGT Supporter: Yes

Pocket guns

Post by miller » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:02 pm

I was wondering what opinions are towards the best pocket guns out there? My neighbor carries the Smith Bodyguard but I was wondering what you guys think?

mp1977
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Port Townsend
Favorite Firearm: SS p238
Next Firearm: wife said no

Re: Pocket guns

Post by mp1977 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:40 pm

I'm rather partial to my Keltec P3AT in a pocket holster.

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry

Post by hatchdog » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:24 am

I carry a Kahr P380 and just yesterday had the opportunity of shoot a buddies Taurus TCP. Both pistols have no external safeties and both slides lock back when the mag is empty. I feel both of these features are important in a self defense pistol and many of the pocket pistols out there either/or do not lock the slide or have external safeties. Both guns shot the same (not pleasant) and the Taurus had one FTF. I was able to push the slide into battery and it fired after doing so. I have had some FTF's with my Kahr but none since about 300 rounds down range. Kahr recommends a minimum of 200 rounds for break in prior to putting the pistol into service.

Some don't like pocket pistols due to lint from your pants fouling the pistol. I carry mine in a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster and have not had any lint problems. It is not my daily carry, but is great for a grab and go when I don't want to take the time to holster up a larger pistol.

miller
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by miller » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:40 am

Thanks for the info. Hatchdog.

30calholemaker
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spirit Lake
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: Sig 1911 Operator

Post by 30calholemaker » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:13 am

I carry a Beretta Tomcat in .32 auto. Nice little pistol. It travels well in a pant pocket or jacket pocket. I can hit milk jugs all day from 25 yards. The only draw back is the typical Beretta double action first shot. But if you needed it the first pull would be like a single action.
Victory favors neither the Righteous nor the Wicked; It favors the prepared.
The problem with today's society, is we no longer drink from the skulls of our enemies

Coug91
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: 1911's and AR15's

Post by Coug91 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:06 pm

I carry either a Glock 23 or a S&W1911PD... not exactrly pocket pistols, but I also have a S&W642 that's waiting for my return in a local gun shop that will be my carry gun when I'm out riding. I figure that will fit in a jacket pocket better than either of the other two pistols, so it doesn't have a tendancy to show when my jacket rides up while I'm out riding around. With the right holster, you can use just about any pistol as a carry gun - thus my love for the 1911's. I used to carry another 1911 in an IWB holster on my strong side and it worked, but had to wear my shirt untucked or a jacket over it to keep it concealed The Kahr's are interesting little guns, too. Something to consider.
Fortuna Favet Fortibus.

When you run out of valid things to say, there's always insults.

miller
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by miller » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Thanks Coug. I always carried a Glock 19 or a sp101 but I was looking for something smaller because of "shirt situations" too.

basilg3
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: AR-15

Post by basilg3 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Ruger LCP .380. Fits in a pocket holster well and is undetectable even in light business slacks. The semi autos are much slimmer and easier to conceal and carry than the revolvers IMHO.
Where can I get one of those guns in the movies that never needs reloading?

Spectre_USA
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Sig Sauer P938
Next Firearm: Choices, choices!

Post by Spectre_USA » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:34 am

Just checked out a NutNFancy vid of that Ruger LCP .380, what a fun looking l'il gun!

Might have to get one for the wife someday, AFTER I get my 1911, of course...

:)

mr1320
SGT Premium Supporter
City: coulee city
Favorite Firearm: hk usp 45
Next Firearm: ar-15

Post by mr1320 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:37 am

Sig 238, great gun :D

roustabout
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane, washington
Next Firearm: 1911 45

Post by roustabout » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:35 am

NAA Black Widow in 22 magnum. Shure, its a get-off-me gun but it fits in a pocket so easy.

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry

Post by hatchdog » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:28 pm

Spectre_USA wrote:Just checked out a NutNFancy vid of that Ruger LCP .380, what a fun looking l'il gun!

Might have to get one for the wife someday, AFTER I get my 1911, of course...

:)
I suggest you have her shoot one first, they are nasty little buggers...... but serve a purpose. She is welcome to give mine a tryout.
Last edited by hatchdog on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sh3llsh0ck
Serious Gun Trader
City: South Spokane
Favorite Firearm: SR-556
Next Firearm: Home Defense Shotgun

Post by sh3llsh0ck » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Just got an LCP. The whole weapon is designed to be CC'ed. No external safeties, designed to be in, and slide out of a pocket without catching on anything.

The only complaint i have is the trigger pull. It's about a mile long, but it's still easy to pull, and you get used to it on the first range day.

ripcuda
City: Newman Lake
Favorite Firearm: Saiga 7.62
Next Firearm: CZ P-01

Post by ripcuda » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:13 pm

I like pocket guns. They don't usually get much respect due to their size and/or smaller calibers. Mostly relegated to BUG duty.

Here is a great comparison chart (pdf) of semi-auto pocket pistols, < 6" in length, .32 + caliber. It's from mouseguns.com... very good info site about pocket guns.

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Cheers!

LostInWA
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: SAA

Post by LostInWA » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:56 am

I just got an LC9 yesterday, haven't shot it yet. The size is what I wanted, but the
trigger pull is a bit long. That can be remedied. If it shoots well it will be a keeper.

ripcuda

Post by ripcuda » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:54 pm

LostInWA wrote:I just got an LC9 yesterday, haven't shot it yet. The size is what I wanted, but the
trigger pull is a bit long. That can be remedied. If it shoots well it will be a keeper.
The LC9 is a great gun. I love mine. Been flawless for me. The trigger is very long though. I'd be very interested to know how you could shorten the trigger pull.

That said... it don't fit as a pocket gun... in any pants I wear. I does ride nicely in a Theis IWB holster I use though.

Cheers!

LostInWA
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: SAA

Post by LostInWA » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:08 pm

These guys: http://www.gallowayprecision.com/ have replacement hammers, I'm going to shoot it a bit before I do anything to it, by then they
should have the trigger bars ready.

And yeah, mine will be more of a coat pocket gun. ;)

ripcuda

Post by ripcuda » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks LostinWA for the lead on the custom LC9 parts. I'm very interested in these. So it sounds like the modified hammer shortens the trigger reset. And the yet-to-be-released trigger bars will help shorten the pull and/or move the break point of the trigger. Is that right? I like where the trigger pull starts on my LC9... I would just like it to break further forward... not all the way at the back against the frame.

As for pocket guns... Santa picked me up one of these beauties... MAGNUM baby! .22 magnum.

Fits in my pocket quite nicely. I also got a conversion .22LR cylinder for cheaper plinking with it. Can't wait for Christmas! :mrgreen:

Cheers!

roustabout
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane, washington
Next Firearm: 1911 45

Post by roustabout » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:57 am

Ripcuda , you're gonna love that NAA. Just don't give up on it till you've shot 50+ rounds. It'll loosen up and be great to shoot. I have the black wido because of fat fingers. It was fun to shoot at first even tho hard trigger pull. But after a few dozen rounds it loosened up and is a real joy to shoot. Not bad accuracy either.

GBear
Rookie Member
City: Spokane Valley, WA

Post by GBear » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:26 am

30calholemaker wrote:I carry a Beretta Tomcat in .32 auto. Nice little pistol. It travels well in a pant pocket or jacket pocket. I can hit milk jugs all day from 25 yards. The only draw back is the typical Beretta double action first shot. But if you needed it the first pull would be like a single action.

I also have a Beretta Tomcat 32ACP. Added the crimson red dot laser, fits nice in the hand. Beretta also makes the Bobcat 21 in 22cal. Same gun, slightly smaller. Nice part is it will fire with NO MAG in chamber. With the tilt barrel, just insert a single cartridge and trigger away. Also for a small pocket pistol, I prefer the Single / Double action, with safety lock. I can keep zero chambered, with safety on. Then pull back the slide to chamber first round and cocked and ready to rock at same time. Or one in the chamber, no slide racking needed. Just pull back the top of the trigger assembly into locked position, as long as a round in the chamber already. No obvious racking of the slide that way. Just a little click sound and I am ready to go. Then lock the safety as if a Single Action Cocked and locked. Purchased the 22lr version for my wife who has very small hands. The tilt up barrel makes it easy for one to load first round without the slide being racked. Just pull back the hammer, safety on, full mag loaded and you are ready to go. Have had mine for several years and purchased lots of ammo when Obama was in first race. It feeds all my high tech hollow points, etc without a hitch. I call it my mini Beretta M9.