Vortex rifle scope decision

Gear Discussion / Reviews ...
LongRifle
City: Deer Park
State: Wa

Vortex rifle scope decision

Post by LongRifle » Fri May 06, 2016 9:37 am

I will soon be purchasing myself a little gift for making it through another year of college and my rifle is in need of a new scope. The rifle is a custom 30-06 and will be used for hunting and my intro rifle to long range precision shooting.
I have narrowed my search down to the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 with the MOA reticle or the Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 with the MOA reticle.
I am also considering the same HS-T but in a 6-24x50. Is 6 power too much magnification for closer quick shots?
My preference is with the HS-T but I don't like the reticle being MOA and the adjustments being MRAD. Would this be an issue or not anything to worry about?
I want to stick with an MOA reticle and keep my price in the 500 to 700 dollar range.
Any advice on other scopes that fit this bill or advice on the Reticle/Adjustment difference would be appreciated.
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Abruzzi
City: Chewelah
Favorite Firearm: S&W
Next Firearm: Masquelier

Re: Vortex rifle scope decision

Post by Abruzzi » Fri May 06, 2016 10:49 pm

Vortex site says the moa reticle scopes have moa adjustments. As far as scope size, you could make an argument either way. Personal preference.

Godspyro
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: fire stick
Next Firearm: Bible
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Godspyro » Sat May 07, 2016 5:25 am

You may want to look at the XLR reticle, it allows you to do windage and holdover inside the reticle itself.

Prov 6:6 Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise.

RCW 9.41.010
(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.

Quotes are stupid. -The Mechanic

LongRifle

Post by LongRifle » Sun May 08, 2016 6:25 pm

The XLR is nice but I think it's only in the 6-24x50 and that's a little out of my price range and the XLR is a little too busy for hunting but the VMR-1 in the HS-T is just about right for me. I'm trying to decide if the 6-24 is too powerful for hunting. 95% of the use of this rifle will be for range shooting but I don't want to have too much magnification for hunting. Is 6 power too much for hunting ranges 50-300? Thoughts on this?
I'm considering the 6-24 because true MOA is actually at 18 power and with the 4-16 true MOA is at 16 power and from what I've heard can be a little blurry at full power.
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."
-Theodore Roosevelt

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Custom 300WSM
Next Firearm: Custom 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by dmoua » Sun May 08, 2016 7:46 pm

I hunt with the 4-16 HS-T and like it a lot. I feel like 6x is too much power for anything under 100 yards especially in wooded areas. My gf has a 6-24 viper BDC and after taking it out last hunting season; I wished I would have gotten one with lower power for her. Is the PST legal to hunt big game with in WA since it has the illuminated reticle?
Instagram @DMOUA_OUTDOORS

https://www.youtube.com/@DMOUA_OUTDOORS

LongRifle

Post by LongRifle » Mon May 09, 2016 7:26 pm

I was just talking with a friend who reminded me about the illuminated reticle issue and I believe you're correct saying it's not legal to hunt with.
I typically hunt on 6 power so I don't think it will be a huge issue
-Theodore Roosevelt

Abruzzi
City: Chewelah
Favorite Firearm: S&W
Next Firearm: Masquelier

Post by Abruzzi » Mon May 09, 2016 10:32 pm

Unless something changed recently, illuminated reticles are legal for hunting.

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by dmoua » Tue May 10, 2016 6:49 pm

Abruzzi wrote:Unless something changed recently, illuminated reticles are legal for hunting.
You are correct.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/help/questions/352/C ... +season%3F++

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by dmoua » Tue May 10, 2016 6:53 pm

LongRifle wrote:I was just talking with a friend who reminded me about the illuminated reticle issue and I believe you're correct saying it's not legal to hunt with.
I typically hunt on 6 power so I don't think it will be a huge issue
The HST will be fine for you then. On my HS-T, at 16x I notice that there is a little blur but it doesn't bother me. I have shot with mine out to 700 yards. The SFP 6-24x50 HST can probably be found for $600 if you shop around. I know a guy who is a dealer for Vortex if you want his name PM me.

LongRifle

Post by LongRifle » Wed May 11, 2016 12:33 pm

The HST will be fine for you then. On my HS-T, at 16x I notice that there is a little blur but it doesn't bother me. I have shot with mine out to 700 yards. The SFP 6-24x50 HST can probably be found for $600 if you shop around. I know a guy who is a dealer for Vortex if you want his name PM me.[/quote]

I was drifting away from the 4-16 because I was worried about that blur at full power. Ill probably just have to go to the store and try a couple out to see if it is an issue for me or not.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Godspyro
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: fire stick
Next Firearm: Bible
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Godspyro » Thu May 12, 2016 7:20 pm

Actually it's on the 2.5x10 ffp as well viewtopic.php?f=8&t=97413 remember that its not near as busy as the pic I posted, but it looks a little busy until you use it, I had a 6x26 on my 308 and replaced it because the 6x was too much for closer targets, I think 3x12 or 3x15 is ideal for hunting in this area but that's just me.
LongRifle wrote:The XLR is nice but I think it's only in the 6-24x50 and that's a little out of my price range and the XLR is a little too busy for hunting but the VMR-1 in the HS-T is just about right for me. I'm trying to decide if the 6-24 is too powerful for hunting. 95% of the use of this rifle will be for range shooting but I don't want to have too much magnification for hunting. Is 6 power too much for hunting ranges 50-300? Thoughts on this?
I'm considering the 6-24 because true MOA is actually at 18 power and with the 4-16 true MOA is at 16 power and from what I've heard can be a little blurry at full power.
Prov 6:6 Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise.

RCW 9.41.010
(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.

Quotes are stupid. -The Mechanic

Northerner
City: Springdale
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: ????

Post by Northerner » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:30 pm

I would look very closely at FOV. I hunted for a number of years with a Leupold 6.5x20-40mm on my elk rifle. I had looked through my old Bushnell turned up to 6.5x and thought no problem 6.5x is not too much. I ended up not liking it. In timber especially early or late it was too dark and not enough FOV for that type hunting. That gun now wears a 4.5x14-50mm and I am much happier. I have shot steel out to 700 with it and certainly a little more power that far out would be great, but since it is a hunting rifle I like the 4.5x bottom power. I am guessing that the old Bushnell 3x9 I set at what I thought was 6.5 either just had a better FOV at that power, or it was not giving me the magnification I thought. I honestly would be cautious about that much power at the bottom for hunting if you hunt anything brushy or expect much close up action. If that 6x scope you are looking at has a FOV that is not too far off the 4 or 4.5x scopes it would probably work well for you as a double duty scope, but if the FOV is much smaller you might want to go look at the lower power scope.

Leupold VX-3 4.5-x14 has a 19.1' FOV at 100 yards on 4.5
Vortex Viper HS-T 6x24 has a 17.8' FOV at 100 yards on 6

After taking time to look that up and seeing the Vortex has only 1.3' less FOV on 6 than my scope at 4.5 I would not worry about getting the 6-24.

That 6.5-20 I had is only 14.3' FOV at 100 yards on 6.5 which is close to 5' less that my current scope and it was noticeable close in.

tomsawer
City: Mesa, Arizona
Favorite Firearm: Diamondback DB
Next Firearm: Kriss Vector

Post by tomsawer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:51 pm

I had the same problem, I recently ordered a browning xbolt hells canyon speed. I'm trying to decide if I want to top it off with a Nikon monarch 3, leupold vx3, or vortex viper. I would like something with bdc reticule and preferably somewhere in the 12 to 14 max power range. And I was also thinking of trying a 50 mm objective, all my current scopes have a 40 or 42 mm objective. I'm having hell deciding I have been saving up for awhile so my budget is around 600ar 15 lower receiver|ruger ar 556.
Live, Laugh, Love. If that doesnt work, LOAD AIM AND FIREar 15 bolt carrier group|ar 15.

garand
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by garand » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:42 pm

Vortex has also introduced the Razor light weight hunter. Less than 8 bills. Might check that out.

garand
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by garand » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:32 pm

If the Vortex Razor LH interests you, Cabelas has a great deal on it right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/bargain- ... ?slotId=17