Gear Discussion / Reviews ...
Spike_Goldman
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
SGT Supporter: Yes

Suggestions for an AR sling

Post by Spike_Goldman » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:28 pm

I'd like to get some input on an AR sling. I'm looking for something that would work in a tactical situation and as a comfortable way to carry. I'm tall (6'5') and built like a linebacker if it makes any difference. I do have sling swivels front and back.

Thanks in advance.
I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Yaakattack3
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Bozeman
Favorite Firearm: G21
Next Firearm: Savage 110FCP-K

Re: Suggestions for an AR sling

Post by Yaakattack3 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Would you have any other gear on your person while carrying the rifle? And by tactical, are you referring to an urban environment?

I know police and military will use a 3 point sling in most situations, but I prefer a one point sling. It allows you to transition from stronghand to southpaw shooting without any trouble, which is a huge advantage when clearing buildings. They work wonders when run through the shoulder pads on a vest, taking the rifles weight off your neck and putting it onto your shoulders and upper back. It also holds the rifle up higher, keeping it from hitting your shins, depending on the length of the rifle. I have also found that with less material and straps in the one point slings, I don't get all tangled up in everything. Using the same type of knots you use in a survival bracelet with 550 Para cord, you can make yourself a fine and reliable one yourself!

I would recommend a one point sling. And add an aftermarket sling attach inbetween the stock and where it attaches to the receiver. Hope that helps!

wingman
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Savage 12FV

Post by wingman » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:59 pm

I would second the one point sling.

Ive used a three point in the past, but it is less maneuverable.
This world is where I breathe; let it never be called home.

Coug91
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: 1911's and AR15's

Post by Coug91 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:45 am

See the two previous posts... Single point. A good one is either Blackhawk, condor, or The Wilderness. I've looked at, but not used, the Troy battle sling. To use the single point sling you will need an attachment point that goes on the rear of the reciever/front of the rear stock. GG&G, Midwest Industries, Troy would all be good starting points as each has several models to choose from. I have both the slots and standard removable sling swivel models. The sling swivel is the way to go, IMO.

Good luck -
Fortuna Favet Fortibus.

When you run out of valid things to say, there's always insults.

Sig-aholic
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: AAC .300 BLK
Next Firearm: Sig Sauer 1911 TacOp

Post by Sig-aholic » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:44 am

Look into the Magpul MS3 sling. You can convert it from single point, to two point in a matter of seconds. This way, you have the best of both worlds in one sling
I took an oath that I will support and defend the constitution of the United States. My enemies will expire before my oath ever will.

DNeild
Rookie Member
City: Undisclosed Location
Favorite Firearm: AR-15
Next Firearm: 1911

Post by DNeild » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:39 am

I second the Magpul sling, it is a great single/ 2 point sling. They are harder to come by now cause Magpul is filling a military contract from what I have been told by every shop I went to. But I was able to snag one off EBay for even cheaper than what they go for.
"When you enter a room full of armed men, shoot the first person who makes a move- hostile or otherwise. He has started to think and is therefore dangerous" -Robert "Paddy" Mayne

wagon
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by wagon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:23 pm

What about Blue Force VCAS (2-point) .. which I always like to get.. any good? Any bad?

They got snatched FAST as they show up at reasonable price.

Yaakattack3
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Bozeman
Favorite Firearm: G21
Next Firearm: Savage 110FCP-K

Post by Yaakattack3 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:43 pm

I would like to add:

I must say that seeing others use a one point sling, it seems that most have the sling go over one shoulder and come under the opposite arm. I prefer to have it go around the neck if i'm clearing rooms and buildings because it allows for a smoother transition from right to left, and left to right, shooting. As I said, the sling can dig into your neck this way, however only if you are not shouldering it. This is where a vest, especially CIRAS vests, play a nice role by threading the sling through the shoulder straps. IMHO this setup can not be beat in tactical means.

brettov
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Colville
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: Big Bore Revolver

Post by brettov » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Sig-aholic wrote:Look into the Magpul MS3 sling. You can convert it from single point, to two point in a matter of seconds. This way, you have the best of both worlds in one sling

Thats a very good choice . One point slings are great for doing drills and in an urban environment . But if you ever carry much out in the field they suck . To be able to transition from one to the other is very nice . I don't think three pointers are very popular anymore . They have to much going on . Better to keep it simple . Even Vickers uses a two point sling now .
From the Federalist Papers: “The purpose of the United States Constitution is to limit the power of the federal government not the American people.”

Spike_Goldman
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Spike_Goldman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I am a civilian so I don't have a mission in mind. Just looking for something that would work if I ever had to use my AR, or for taking some carbine classes. I would like something that would carry well and let me use my hands if I had to climb etc, so it seems a two-point would work best for that. I like the idea of the convertible sling, one that can move easily from single point to two point and will look into the Magpul, as well as the other suggestions. I really appreciate your time.

I do see the MS3 is hard to find right now, although the MS2 still seems available online. Can anyone tell me the major differences?

I saw a very nice rig here: http://www.tacticallink.com/Convertible_Sling.html It's made here in Washington, but it's expensive. It looks well made and the hardware looks solid. Anyone ever used one?
I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different. - Kurt Vonnegut

TreeFarm
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Kettle Falls

Post by TreeFarm » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:30 pm

I use a padded VCAS on my AR and really like it, I got it when they where selling the green ones for 50% off so couldnt beat the price, they have done a similar sale with another color since then, probably pick up another one if I catch them on sale again.

Spectre_USA
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Sig Sauer P938
Next Firearm: Choices, choices!

Post by Spectre_USA » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:27 pm

I tried one of the bungee single points, didn't like it.

But that convertible one looks pretty slick!

Made in Maple Valley, WA, eh? Bonus!

Sig-aholic
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: AAC .300 BLK
Next Firearm: Sig Sauer 1911 TacOp

Post by Sig-aholic » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:59 am

Spike_Goldman wrote: I do see the MS3 is hard to find right now, although the MS2 still seems available online. Can anyone tell me the major differences?
The MS3 is using Magpul proprietary components rather than off the shelf buckles and clips. They might be a tad wider for better comfort too. Other than that, not a whole lot of difference
I took an oath that I will support and defend the constitution of the United States. My enemies will expire before my oath ever will.

wagon
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by wagon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:36 pm

wagon wrote:What about Blue Force VCAS (2-point) .. which I always like to get.. any good? Any bad?

FINALLY... came across an used one today! with optional metal adjuster at a good price. Should be here next week :D

CarlsonCustoms
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Deer Park, WA
Favorite Firearm: Glocks

Post by CarlsonCustoms » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:14 pm

I use that blue force sling and also the vickers one too.. I had a Magpul MS2 sling and frankly I thought it sucked. It didnt' have a thick enough strap so it kinda cut into your neck.

I've also used a couple single point slings and in my opinion they stink. They just flop around too much for me. Also ever try kneeling with a single point sling? Its a good way to get dirt lodged in your barrel.

I really like the Vickers sling and the Blue Force sling shown above. They are nice becuase you can cinch them up tight to the body anytime to go hands free or you can flip it around to sling it on your back when you really need to get some work done. Then when you are cinched to the body you can quickly flick the adjustment buckle and you've got a useable gun again.

I have used a couple three point slings and they aren't bad I just really prefer a quick adjust 2 point PADDED sling. I can't stress enough how much the padding makes a difference to me.

XDMShawn
Favorite Firearm: My Colt LE6940 AR-15
Next Firearm: .45

Post by XDMShawn » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:24 am

I purchased the Irene Adaptive Sling a few months ago and so far I love it. It is a single point tactical sling that allows for conversion to a two point sling without ever being unhooked from the weapon in the process. In other words, if you want to go from single point to two point you normally have to unhook one of the connection point and your weapon becomes vulnerable to dropping. The Irene Adaptive Sling is unique in that you never unhook on the process. Instead, your grab an extra mash hook found on the sling harness that pulls out and you connect it to the front of the weapon. Once that is complete you are free to swing the weapon around to your back side and it stays put. Swing it back to the front, unhook the front mash hook and your can to a single point again.

www.missionspec.com/products/ias-irene-adaptive-sling

Strangedays
Gun Trader
City: Spokane, Washington
Favorite Firearm: Custom Seekins AR-15
Next Firearm: M4 Benelli

Post by Strangedays » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:16 pm

wagon wrote:
wagon wrote:What about Blue Force VCAS (2-point) .. which I always like to get.. any good? Any bad?

FINALLY... came across an used one today! with optional metal adjuster at a good price. Should be here next week :D

This is my sling of choice also.

Godspyro
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: fire stick
Next Firearm: Bible

Post by Godspyro » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:34 pm

***Zombie thread***
Spike, if you didn't get anything yet I have an extra MS2 (clone) you can try, as a note guys be really careful buying any Magpul gear from someone you dont know for sure is a magpul dealer aka watch out at the gun show, there are sites you can get magpul prs stocks (FAKES) for $90 and MS2 slings (FAKES) for $15.
Prov 6:6 Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise.

RCW 9.41.010
(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.

Quotes are stupid. -The Mechanic

Narsil
Serious Gun Trader
City: Spokane Valley

Post by Narsil » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:02 pm

I used to run a Vickers sling on a daniel defense loop at the front of the buffer tube, and a left side railed sling attachment clone. Good sling.

Then I had a chance to run a friend's Magpul MS2...Never go back to the Vickers. MS2/3 is faster, more confortable, and has more versatility. It can run one point, two point, slung over back, and I have even run it as a simple marksman sling, such as the model 1907 sling on my Garand. I think it's the best all around AR sling on the market today.