Gear Discussion / Reviews ...
khalvorsen87
Gun Trader
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Howa 1500 6.5CM
Next Firearm: Ruger Precision Rim

Maxed out windage on scope

Post by khalvorsen87 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:50 pm

Doing some load testing the other day I was shooting about 1.5" right at 100 yards, tried adjusting my scope left and noticed it was turned as far as it could... So whats the solution? Its a Leupold VXIII, all I know about the knobs is how to loosen it and make turn it to mark as zero...

I would assume I should center the knob to give me equal left and right movements then somehow adjust the rings, but as far as how i could get left and right play out of those I'm lost...

khalvorsen87
Gun Trader

Re: Maxed out windage on scope

Post by khalvorsen87 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Or, now that I've looked at it for more than a second, could this screw be a windage adjustment, there is one on both sides, they are leupold std mounts and rings

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Bob R » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:54 pm

Yes, I would say that is you windage adjustment, at least a coarse adjustment. Loosen one side a little, tighten the other.

Before you get started again make sure you center your windage adjustment on the scope. Go one way all the way and the count the clicks until you reach the other direction. Go back the other way 1/2 of your total clicks and it should be centered for you.

This should help.

http://www.abousainc.com/SightIn.htm

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

khalvorsen87
Gun Trader

Post by khalvorsen87 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:11 pm

Can't believe it took me over 200 rounds to notice, it was pretty spot on from the boresighting they did at Cabelas and I only had to make a minor adjustment for a good 100 yard zero, I haven't done much shooting in heavy winds or further out so not much adjustment was ever needed until the other day when I noticed it...

There are lines marking complete rotations, Shouldn't be hard to find a center and get right in there...

In your experience how much adjustment does that screw take? Does a relatively small adjustment make a huge difference at 100 yards? I suppose I could call Leupold since the included instructions (just found) don't really give you any idea how to do what what I need to

khalvorsen87
Gun Trader

Post by khalvorsen87 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:41 pm

Got off phone with Leupold, had to call them twice now for random questions, not with problems, and those guys are on the ball... at this rate I'll be a lifetime Leupold customer...

So the info I got from them was that indeed that screw is a windage adjustment, but I need to move it in the opposite direction of what I would assume. Gun is shooting right, I would assume move rear base right to correct that, but would have been wrong.

Also he let me know instead of counting clicks or guessing where center is you can hold a small mirror up directly against the objective lens of the scope and look down there and you will see 2 sets of cross hairs, then just turn the knobs until they directly line up and thats centered. He said it should work on almost any scope that way but def on the Leupold...

He also gave me advice on how much adjustment those screws will give me and advice to measure it now while I have the chance and write it down (for example shoot once, turn screws 1 complete turn, shoot again, measure change...) which would be good to know in case I ever have to adjust again...

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time

Post by Bob R » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:27 pm

I am glad you called them, I never knew that about the mirror. They must consider that secret info! ;)

When ever you make any kind of sighting adjustments try to keep either full, half or quarter turns. That way it is easier to go back to where you were, or to make adjustments in between.

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry

Post by hatchdog » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:47 pm

Generally speaking, Leupold scopes have 1/4 minute clicks in their turret adjustments. This means with every click you hear while adjusting your scope your point of impact should change 1/4 inch at 100 yds.

khalvorsen87
Gun Trader

Post by khalvorsen87 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:36 pm

my turrets are 1/4 minute but I think bob might have meant the screws and remembering the quarter/half/full turns... I'm just going to center the windage, go to range with a LARGE target at 100 and do a full turn and right it down as 1 turn = x minutes of angle...

yeah that mirror thing is a cool trick, just make sure there is plenty of light and if its a variable power magnification lower it so have the best eye relief (to help with light)

michael42
City: newman lake
Favorite Firearm: 700P in 338 Lapua

Post by michael42 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:00 am

The leuopold rear base on your rifle can be a PITA. I have bases simaller to those on a few guns, and have decided that I'll check those rear screws every time I clean my rifle. This is because I've had them loosen up on me before (more than once). Once I was testing some loads for my browning A-bolt. Couldn't figure out why the target looked so bad. Finally realized what was going on, but made for a wasted trip. When I got home, I checked some of the others and sure enough found another that was loose. They are good bases if you keep them tight.

brentwoodpark

Post by brentwoodpark » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Maybe consider the Leupold Dual Dovetail, no windage adjustment screws are present on the rear base, both the front and rear rings lock into the bases by rotating them into place, you can check them for alignment with a piece of 1" diameter round stock or a dowel.

bubbahairston1
Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: Colt M1911A1
Next Firearm: Ma Deuce...

Post by bubbahairston1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:52 pm

+1. I mount scopes on rifles all day at work and when people want to go the leupold direction I always try to get them to go the dual dovetail route. MUCH less room for error and very solid. Above all Id go with Warne or good 'ol Talley.

RLHas
Local SGT Sponsor
City: Medical Lake
Favorite Firearm: Springfield EMP .40
Next Firearm: AR 10 or Bolt action

Post by RLHas » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:30 am

Loctite 242 (blue) is your Buddy!!!
My Glock Doc
509-869-2754
Call for appointment

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NRA Member