johnson7806
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Undecided
Next Firearm: AR10
SGT Supporter: Yes

Best camo for our area?

Post by johnson7806 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm looking into getting a new parka and was wondering what your experience with surplus camo has been. I'm mostly looking at either multicam or marpat, but am open to suggestions. I know it depends on season. My thinking is multicam for a parka because it is lighter and might work well with the mostly brown vegetation during winter. Might have to get marpat for summer though.

jc.knight
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: MINE
Next Firearm: Glock 30S

Re: Best camo for our area?

Post by jc.knight » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:36 am

Actually... the best camo for this area (MY OPINION) is a Khaki, or Coyote. ACU, ABU and MARPAT were deigned with the modern digital battlefield in mind as well as breaking up against visual. Digital camo is designed to break up patterns with low light/night vision gear as well as against normal daylight human visual accuity.

A Coyote, or Khaki will be self visually disruptive in all 4 seasons, and in all major terrains here in Eastern WAshington. If it is too light, just get it dirty, when you get home, wash it.

The issue you may have is black boots, gloves, hats, belts, rifles, etc. stand out hugely against the tan clothing. Paint, wrap or Cerakote (Liquid Transformations) your hard items to match your clothes and you can dissappear from man, and critters.
Strategic is when you get reports about fighting.
Operational is when you hear shots fired.
Tactical is when you’re taking fire!

ttventures
SGT Premium Supporter
City: E WA

Post by ttventures » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:47 am

Multicam

A-TACS FG

A-TACS

Yaakattack3
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Bozeman
Favorite Firearm: G21
Next Firearm: Savage 110FCP-K

Post by Yaakattack3 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:47 am

Multicam is best for our area. The photos above speak for themselves. Multicam was developed to be the most versatile modern camo pattern out there, and it is IMO.

memyselfandi
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Single six, old mod
Next Firearm: M1A

Post by memyselfandi » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:56 am

anything that breaks up shape/outline is better than nothing, for a couple years I wore a very dirty old army jacket and very dirty khaki pants and a rattle-can camo job on my rifle, people couldn't see me and if the critters did they didn't act like it.

that being said, from the photos above I'd say the A-TACS is best for most areas around here while MULTICAM would be better in more woodland areas...if you're in the forest it's good to be green.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -Washington

johnson7806
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Undecided
Next Firearm: AR10

Post by johnson7806 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:25 pm

I think I'll buy a couple of MARPAT items and a multicam parka and test them out but I think both patterns will work well.

brettov
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Colville
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: Big Bore Revolver

Post by brettov » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:09 am

I sure killed alot of Deer when I was a lot younger and there wasn't much for commercial camo . I wore a Green plaid wool jacket .But that was in Idaho and Utah .Maybe the Deer are dummer in Idaho and Utah .I kind of like that Predator brand now .But that multi cam looks great .
From the Federalist Papers: “The purpose of the United States Constitution is to limit the power of the federal government not the American people.”

wagunguy
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Washington

Post by wagunguy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:11 pm

My experience with camo has been that movement is more important than your camo type. If you are moving it is much easier to see you. That multicam is awesome.

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time

Post by Bob R » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:23 pm

I kind of like the new Air Force sage colored tiger stripes for around this area. We need to some of our active duty AF guys to do a test for us. ;)

Of course I could be completely off base also. I just normally wear some old 3 color desert camo, or a clown suit. I just try to sit really still. :)

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

brettov
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Colville
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: Big Bore Revolver

Post by brettov » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Bob R wrote:I kind of like the new Air Force sage colored tiger stripes for around this area. We need to some of our active duty AF guys to do a test for us. ;)

Of course I could be completely off base also. I just normally wear some old 3 color desert camo, or a clown suit. I just try to sit really still. :)

bob

I havn't seen the sage green tiger stripe yet .It sounds interesting .I need to do a google on it .
From the Federalist Papers: “The purpose of the United States Constitution is to limit the power of the federal government not the American people.”

ttventures
SGT Premium Supporter
City: E WA

Post by ttventures » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:23 pm

A couple more

TSP All Terrain Tiger (ATT)

Airman Battle Uniform