Gear Discussion / Reviews ...
osteoman
Rookie Member
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: MilSurp
Next Firearm: Springfield 1911 GI

Laser Rangefinders

Post by osteoman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:55 pm

Does anyone have any experience with reasonably priced yet accurate laser rangefinders? I understand nikon and leica make nice ones but can be $$$. I need something to read to 500 yrds on a 10inch target....
???

Call Turner
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Nine Mile Falls
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: All of them!!
Next Firearm: Browning Hells Canyo

Re: Laser Rangefinders

Post by Call Turner » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:00 pm

I have owned several different ones and I finally went out and bought a Leica. The others don't compare. your welcome to try mine .Once you use a Leica you'll wonder why you wanted any thing else. I've had larger military range finders that were as fast but it weighed a couple pounds, the others are not as fast or accurate. mike
" Having you around is like losing 2 good men."

Masonryman
Senior Pro Gun Trader
City: Benewah Valley
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: FiveseveN
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Masonryman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:50 pm

I'm a big big fan of high end optics Swarovski and Zeiss in particular, that said years ago i bought a Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 rangefinder
and it's done all i needed so far. Reflecting off a 10'' target at 500 yards well.... if your able to hold steady i think most will get the job done.
You can ignore reality... but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Brent338

Post by Brent338 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:40 pm

my swaro 1500 is as good as it gets unless you get into military stuff....
next best would be leica no doubt.

TK-Leather
Rookie Member
City: Ford
Favorite Firearm: Savage Rifle
Next Firearm: Better Savage Rifle

Post by TK-Leather » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:31 pm

I just have a bushnell, I dont know the model off hand but its the one that will give the angle of the target as well. any way I really like it it will range to 650. but on a 10 inch target get yourself a rest its not that easy to hold that little light bugger steady.

elk23
Rookie Member
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Ar-15
Next Firearm: muzzleloader

Post by elk23 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:53 pm

Get the best you can, buy a leica 900 or the leica 1200 . They are worth the money. I have a leica 900 and I have gotten reads at 999 yards on nonreflective targets. Most rangefinders that say they go out to 900 yards are actually only capable of going off a reflective target, such as a metal roof, or cliff. If you want something that will give you split second readings at 900 yards off of any object go with the leica.

ttventures
SGT Premium Supporter
City: E WA

Post by ttventures » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:17 pm

I've got a pair of Leica Geovid's that I purchased when they first came out just prior to me going on a Wyoming Elk hunt. They were outstanding! I was able to range some wolves as far out as 1500 meters and everything less than that in seconds. The crystal is clear and the weight is no more than a good pair of binocs...the best of both worlds in my opinion. So I only need to carry one piece of equipment instead of two. Of course they have gone up almost $1000 dollars since I bought mine. In the glass and range department, you definitely get what you pay for.

dlhutch822
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: 50BMG
Next Firearm: Psalm 144:1

Post by dlhutch822 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:55 am

I Have a bushnell Pine seeker...yes i know it for golf but the price was right. Anyway it is water proof i believe it goes out to 1000yds and the cool part it is it has an option for recognizing flags on the course and ranging them. well it just happens to also be able to recognize targets. you can turn this feature off and use it normally as well. anyway i have used it out to about 800yds and it works perfect.
INVISIBLE SOLES LEAVE .50 HOLES.........SUPPORT SGT!!!!

brentwoodpark

Post by brentwoodpark » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:03 pm

I bought a bushnell yardage pro 1500, it actually reads out to 1900 yards, paid $400 for it, have used Leica, Leupold, but prefer the simplicity of my bushnell. Guys I know who shoot the 338 edge seem to lean toward the Leica.