RLHas
SGT Premium Supporter
City, State: Medical Lake Wa.
Favorite Firearm: Semi Auto Pistols
Next Firearm: AR-10 .308
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Frog lube

Post by RLHas » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:49 am

In my experiences with this stuff I will have to agree with krob.
In weapons I've worked on especially those with a diversity of types of metal I've found corrosion starting in certain ares where one may not be cleaning every time.
Prime example...
I performed a complete spring replacement and tune of a very nice Kimber Pro CDP.
Has an alloy (aluminum) frame, stainless slide, chrome silicon main spring but the sear spring (the leaf spring)
was standard carbon steel. Under that leaf spring it had started to pit out the alloy frame and also corroded the leaf on the disconnect leg almost to the point of breakage. The pistol still functioned but the user had noticed a bit more of a violent recoil than normal which was the recoil spring being old and tired (happens to the best of us)
My theory is that due to the vegetable oil base this cause electrolysis thereby causing the corrosion.
If they can't elinimate all the acidity from the oil it will definitely cause this.
I agree also with staying with the traditional stuff and or synthetics.
I use Corrosion X and Gunslick Graphite Grease prettymuch exclusively and have had great luck with it.
My Glock Doc
509-869-2754
1707 E Holyoke Ave.
Spokane WA. 99217

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NRA Member

R.J.
SGT Premium Supporter
City, State: Spokane Valley, WA
Favorite Firearm: AK`s & Glocks
Next Firearm: ....mmmmm

Post by R.J. » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:56 pm

Seems like the verdicts are coming in on Frog Lube & it's not all that it was cracked up to be. In corrosion tests I've seen it hasn't done very well in comparison to others. The top rated ones for corrosion protection always seem to be Eezox, Corrosion X, Weapon shield, Tri-Lube & Breakfree CLP also did very well. There are a few others I'm sure that I'm missing.
...one nation, under surveillance, unrecognizable, w/ smart phones & food stamps for all.

WTB - `82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.

Cameron Kaputa
SGT Premium Supporter
City, State: Harrington, WA
Favorite Firearm: AR-15 pistols
Next Firearm: AR upper in larger c

Post by Cameron Kaputa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:25 pm

I know it's important to wipe off the Frog lube so you don't have sticky parts. I've used for a few years on a few weapons. I didn't have any corrosion but I found a sticky firing pin that I though I wiped it down well but was sticky. I also don't like the smell after it sits for awhile. Not the nice minty smell of fresh FL but a smell of rancid oil.
If you shoot and clean a weapon often Frog Lube my be fine.
I also feel that Seal 1 is the same stuff with the exception of color and smell.
Cameron

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City, State: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Post by ghillieinthemist » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:32 pm

I was doing research on the best lube...I remember a blip about frog lube "gumming up" over time. anyhow...what I took away from the multiple articles I read over the week I spent doing some deep research was this...synthetic tranny fluid, synthetic oil (weight is personal preference), hoppes #9 mixed. So im running it now. The logic is the automotive industry has a lot more experience and science into lubing all those moving parts than the firearm industry. Sure...they are not designed for guns but it seems to be working for me. The whole point of lube is to keep parts moving and prevent fouling. Im not selling anything. I'm just saying I didn't find one article saying this is bad or didn't work. Personally I don't trust "miracle lubes" some A hole calls Unicorn Urine or X995 Alpha or blah blah blah...whatever the gimmick is anymore. I fell for that crap once. Now I make my own. and for about 20.00 this stuff should last about 15 years at least.
Do or do not there is no try.

RLHas
SGT Premium Supporter
City, State: Medical Lake Wa.
Favorite Firearm: Semi Auto Pistols
Next Firearm: AR-10 .308
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by RLHas » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:57 pm

ghillieinthemist wrote:I was doing research on the best lube...I remember a blip about frog lube "gumming up" over time. anyhow...what I took away from the multiple articles I read over the week I spent doing some deep research was this...synthetic tranny fluid, synthetic oil (weight is personal preference), hoppes #9 mixed. So im running it now. The logic is the automotive industry has a lot more experience and science into lubing all those moving parts than the firearm industry. Sure...they are not designed for guns but it seems to be working for me. The whole point of lube is to keep parts moving and prevent fouling. Im not selling anything. I'm just saying I didn't find one article saying this is bad or didn't work. Personally I don't trust "miracle lubes" some A hole calls Unicorn Urine or X995 Alpha or blah blah blah...whatever the gimmick is anymore. I fell for that crap once. Now I make my own. and for about 20.00 this stuff should last about 15 years at least.
I've gotten to where I use a syn blend too... Seems to be successful!
My Glock Doc
509-869-2754
1707 E Holyoke Ave.
Spokane WA. 99217

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NRA Member