SGT Premium Supporter
City: Coeur d'Alene
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: FN FAL
Next Firearm: SIG P226
SGT Supporter: Yes

Hearing Protection

Post by SARjunkie » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Picked up a set of these at Cabelas: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff
Went out today and was very impressed with several features. Comfortable while in a ball cap (some of those head phones press on that metal button in the middle of your head and it can be really irratating and painful) for several hours. I like the single volume control adjustment for both ears and could amplify the forest around me so that even the lightest rain could be heard. Input jack for iPod/MP3 player worked great as I could enjoy a little AC/DC and still hear those around me speaking.
Just thought I'd share if anyone else was looking around for a new set of ear pro.
"Veni, vidi, Deus vicit"

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry

Re: Hearing Protection

Post by hatchdog » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:45 am

I have the same muffs. I used them this year during the muzzleloader Elk season, my partner would bugle and I would listen for a response with the muffs. They did a great job picking up the bugles while somewhat suppressing the wind noise. My partner had an old pair with exposed mics, and while they had greater volume, they really picked up the wind noise. Another plus is the Howard Leight's are very light weight.
Last edited by hatchdog on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

sil9mm
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: the one in my hand
Next Firearm: 5.7mm express

Post by sil9mm » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:29 am

Talk about kicking up an old topic, but I bought the Peltor TacticalSport on sale at Cabelas for $99. Was a little unsure about them at first, but reviewed good online. So far I love them. I've had them now for 1 1/2 years. I've used them during archery season for talking and listening for elk movements. I also bought the patch cord to plug my phone in to listen to music when I'm shooting by myself. Haven't tried them for yotes yet but hoping will do soon.
Μολὼν λαβέ

sh3llsh0ck
Serious Gun Trader
City: South Spokane
Favorite Firearm: SR-556
Next Firearm: Home Defense Shotgun

Post by sh3llsh0ck » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:16 pm

I have the Howard Leight earmuffs too, love their comfort above all else. Most of the time I don't even use the electronics, unless I'm shooting with friends. Keeps the ears nice and warm in the wind, which is nice.

wagon
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane

Post by wagon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Been on the fence.. you guys just made me ordered one from Amazon to give it a try.

I don't hunt, and I've been using a regular AO which works fine for range time, later I switched to in-ear due to no-weight and no more sweaty ears in summer... and I can wear my favorite boonie. But in-eras starts to hurt after a few hours of wearing.

I still dunno if it works for me .... but I do fancy the electronics features ... guess I can always sell if I don't like it

sh3llsh0ck
Serious Gun Trader

Post by sh3llsh0ck » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:04 pm

wagon wrote:Been on the fence.. you guys just made me ordered one from Amazon to give it a try.

I don't hunt, and I've been using a regular AO which works fine for range time, later I switched to in-ear due to no-weight and no more sweaty ears in summer... and I can wear my favorite boonie. But in-eras starts to hurt after a few hours of wearing.

I still dunno if it works for me .... but I do fancy the electronics features ... guess I can always sell if I don't like it
Yeah, I've never been a big fan of in-ear protection.. But you're right, in summer the over-the-ear style can be a pain.

Hope you enjoy your new ear-pro! They're a heck of a bargain.

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator

Post by hatchdog » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:36 am

hatchdog wrote:I have the same muffs. I used them this year during the muzzleloader Elk season, my partner would bugle and I would listen for a response with the muffs. They did a great job picking up the bugles while somewhat suppressing the wind noise. My partner had an old pair with exposed mics, and while they had greater volume, they really picked up the wind noise. Another plus is the Howard Leight's are very light weight.
Color me paranoid, but I often go to an outdoor range alone. I place my muffs on backwards allowing me to hear if anybody is approaching from my rear.

sh3llsh0ck
Serious Gun Trader

Post by sh3llsh0ck » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:50 pm

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator

Post by hatchdog » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:28 pm

sh3llsh0ck wrote:Image

That's the place. :lol: Excellent graphic :!:

memyselfandi
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Single six, old mod
Next Firearm: M1A

Post by memyselfandi » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:35 pm

I was just wondering about these things...my hearing is pretty bad, constant ringing, can't have a convo w/o looking right at you, the works...and I'm only 31...it's nearly impossible for me to have a conversation at the range and I actually prefer ear plugs (muffs mess w/ my cheek weld or slide into a not-very-effective position) so I end up taking them out to hear people which leads to more hearing loss...I think I'll check those out.

and that reminds me, if anybody found/finds my pair of (non electronic) howard leight's up in Kaniksu NF....well, it's been quite a while, you're welcome to 'em :D
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -Washington

sh3llsh0ck
Serious Gun Trader

Post by sh3llsh0ck » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:51 am

memyselfandi wrote:I actually prefer ear plugs (muffs mess w/ my cheek weld or slide into a not-very-effective position) so I end up taking them out to hear people which leads to more hearing loss...I think I'll check those out.
One nice thing about these, is they're pretty low profile. They haven't messed with my cheek-weld on my AR.. If they did, I wouldn't wear 'em. :mrgreen:

wagon
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by wagon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:33 pm

The muff arrives today. It is a amazing.. I should have bought one sooner ... the only reservation is during summer months.. I may need to fall back to those Surefire plugs during the hot days.

R.J.
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: AK`s & Glocks
Next Firearm: ....mmmmm

Post by R.J. » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:06 pm

Must be popular ear muffs, I have the same set. One thing though, remove the blue sticky dot between the battery terminals before wearing. Mine came w/ batteries installed, never thought to check till the 1st range trip when I thought, "These thing are CRAP, WTH?! Then, (Removed battery) :oops: Ohh....thaaaaat's better! DOH!
...one nation, under surveillance, unrecognizable, w/ smart phones & food stamps for all.

WTB - `82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.

BLM - BURN, LOOT, MURDER

sh3llsh0ck
Serious Gun Trader

Post by sh3llsh0ck » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:14 pm

R.J. wrote:Must be popular ear muffs, I have the same set. One thing though, remove the blue sticky dot between the battery terminals before wearing. Mine came w/ batteries installed, never thought to check till the 1st range trip when I thought, "These thing are CRAP, WTH?! Then, (Removed battery) :oops: Ohh....thaaaaat's better! DOH!
:lol:

wagon
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by wagon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:57 am

RJ: they must have heard you cussing at the range ... they are shipping them with batteries packaged seperately nowadays :mrgreen:

R.J.
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: AK`s & Glocks
Next Firearm: ....mmmmm

Post by R.J. » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:03 am

Luckily just the birds & squirrels got an earful that day. :) I was out at Newman Lk. When I fixed the problem & cranked up the volume & could've sworn I heard one of those furry critters laughing at me. :D ;)
...one nation, under surveillance, unrecognizable, w/ smart phones & food stamps for all.

WTB - `82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.

BLM - BURN, LOOT, MURDER

sil9mm
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: the one in my hand
Next Firearm: 5.7mm express

Post by sil9mm » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:54 pm

Think I heard the same thing. I didn't realize at first, I was playing air guitar and drums in between shooting and reloading. That must have looking funny. Hope I don't find the YouTube video anytime soon.
Μολὼν λαβέ