Glock 17 Gen 1 buy or dont buy price is 475.00

Discuss Glock pistols and Glock related topics...
ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Glock 17 Gen 1 buy or dont buy price is 475.00

Post by ghillieinthemist » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:01 pm

let me know. I'm not a Glock fanatic So I'm pretty in the dark on this subject.
Do or do not there is no try.

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Re: Glock 17 Gen 1 buy or dont buy price is 475.00

Post by ron » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:53 pm

ghillieinthemist wrote:let me know. I'm not a Glock fanatic So I'm pretty in the dark on this subject.
I'm not an expert but that might be little high for a Gen 1 unless it's in VG or close to NIB condition. It may not even be a gen 1, it might be a gen 2 but either way condition is all-important especially with an older model. If it's a Gen 1 the first two letters of the serial number should be "DN" or "AN". I bought a Gen 2 Glock 19 and first thought it was a Gen 1 but I found out different. And then after taking it to the Glock Doc at Firearms Finishing, he looked it over and said it was in very good condition and even looked like it had been rebuilt with a lot of newer parts so I lucked out.

Another time I bought a police turn-in G23 from J&G sales for $ 350 and it was also in very nice condition except for external wear on the slide. So it's possible to get a good deal on a used Glock for a good price but you have to buy from someone you can trust. The 19 that I bought I got from Kieth at Northwest Pawn on Pines and Best Buy surplus on Trent sometimes has good deals on police turn-ins.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ghillieinthemist » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:47 pm

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: Wa
Next Firearm: M134

Post by Flawlessfoose » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:03 am

It's only worth it in my opinion, if it's one you have been wanting to add to your collection. I wouldn't pay 475, but I don't want a gen 1 either.
Other wise, if your looking to flip NO.
WARNING... SIGS ARE ADDICTIVE KEEP OUT OF REACH OF ADULTS .

toddSpokane
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Glock 50
Next Firearm: Glock 51
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by toddSpokane » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:16 am

A minty gen 1 just sold for 475 on gun broker. Well used ones go for $300ish. If this is truly a gen 1, remove the grip and repost a pic, I would be in for $300.
I am looking for:

S&W 657 4"
S&W 63 4"
Glock 29SF or 29 upper
And ground squirrels or marmots

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ghillieinthemist » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:52 pm

it is a gen one...the grips is smooth and there is no obvious checkering on the trigger guard or grip area. This isn't my picture but I have done a little research and apparently that's what gen 1's lack.

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ghillieinthemist » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:20 pm

it just lowered to 400.00 from 475.00

italydad
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Gen 3 Glock 34
Next Firearm: Manurhin GIGN MR73

Post by italydad » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:31 pm

That is an ok price may be worth it, they can go for more. Be careful on Armslist unless it is a local deal.
Rules of War-
#1 Good Men will Die.
#2 Not even Doc can change Rule #1.
#3 For his Brothers, Doc will die trying to change Rules #1 and #2.

Semper Gumby - Always Flexible

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:53 am

ghillieinthemist wrote:it just lowered to 400.00 from 475.00
So is this the gun in the picture being sold on Armslist and is that the one you're looking to buy? Or is this a gun that you're buying locally qwhich you've had a chance to look at? As I said before, with a gun this old, overall condition is the best indicator of how much use/abuse it's seen. Just looking at that gun in the picture, the slide has a lot of wear and the frame has been modified, and although whoever did it looks to have done a pretty good job, that generally lowers the value of the gun. But it that's the gun that your'e thinking of buying, without being able to closely examine the gun, I would not say that it was not really worth $400, probably more like $300 since it may have a lot of wear. That's not to say that it's easy to wear out a Glock, because some Glocks that have been used as rentals at indoor firing ranges has had hundreds of thousands of rounds out through then and are still going strong.

But still, it's always better when buying a used gun to find one in the best condition possible. Also there are certain precautions you need to take when buying a gun online at an auction site. I've bought guns from Gunsamerica and Gunbroker and had no major problems but I've never dealt with Armslist. And I've found better deals at AIM surplus and J&G sales and both those sites have been good to deal with and their guns are all reasonably good quality.

But if on the other hand the actual gun that you're looking to buy is something in better condition, then $400 would not be out of line but there are better deals out there on used Glocks. especially with the newer Gen 3's which tend to be in better condition. I personally like the Gen 2's (and Gen 1's) because of their lack of finger grooves, thumb rest indentations, and rails, but those are just just my personal preferences. But what I don't like about the gen 2's is the little half-moon cut-out in the lower front of the grip that allowed you to grab the non-drop-free mags front and rear. The edges are sharp and it makes it somewhat uncomfortable to grip the gun.

However Pearce grips makes a floorplate that has a little half-moon insert that fills that gap and I have those floorplates on all of my G19, G32, and G23 mags.

And that's another thing. If you're looking for a used 9mm Glock, you might like the mid-sized Glock 19 better than the full-sized Glock 17. I do, and all that you're giving up is between a Glock 17 and a Glock 19 is about an inch of barrel and a half inch of grip and a magazine that holds two less rounds but you still have the option of using G17 mags in the G19. I have a Glock 17 mag and a couple 33 round mags, and a 50 round drum for mine.
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

italydad
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by italydad » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:41 pm

Ron-
Respectfully, that is a rubber slip on grip, not a frame modification. OFTEN these are placed to confused parties that don't know the difference between Gen1 and Gen2's. I would not touch that without a look at the frame and grip without that grip.
italydad
Rules of War-
#1 Good Men will Die.

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:28 am

Yeah, that is a hogue slip on grip. Ron probably didn't have bifocals on when he looked :o :)

ron
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ron » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:23 am

Flawlessfoose wrote:Yeah, that is a hogue slip on grip. Ron probably didn't have bifocals on when he looked :o :)

That's what happened alright. :D I couldnt see where the top edge of the slip-on grips was. Looking more closely I was able to see it. I touched up the picture to show where the edge is. You young'uns can probably see it better than me even without the photo enhancement. But even what I thought was the fine "stippling" texture of the sleeve and the color of the sleeve matches the gun perfectly and it sure fooled me. :oops:

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ghillieinthemist » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:29 pm

The dude is throwing in an old (but good lookin) Stevens bolt action 20g for 75.00 and some 120 rounds of .308 ammo. I don't really know his story but for the original price of 475 its turning out to be a one stop shop. This guy is in Savannah GA. I just happen to be fond of 20g and have an ample supply of ammo ready to go.

With the glock no, I'm not planning on reselling. It's going to be on a mantle pretty much. Like I said I'm no glock enthusiast but I do recognize that this particular pistol is harder and harder to come by. 9mm is my cal of preference anyway.

Flawlessfoose
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Flawlessfoose » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:51 pm

Well, that would make it a decent deal IMO .

casten_nukes
Serious Gun Trader
City: Coeur d alene
State: Idaho
Favorite Firearm: Sig M18
Next Firearm: GLOCK!!!

Post by casten_nukes » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:56 am

I will tell you from experience with Armslist first hand to be cautious. Give it a few days and see if you receive any email messages from the moderators at Armslist regarding the post or poster that you are speaking with. I have been in the middle of working on deals that seemed almost too good to be true and a few days later I get a warning message about the seller that I'm dealing with. The warning messages were related to the post not being real or potential scamming. So just be careful, I'd hate to see you lose your money.

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ghillieinthemist » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:55 pm

I bought it.

italydad
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by italydad » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:03 pm

Pull that ugly grip of and show off some pics, I am anxious to see the internals and the frame.
Rules of War-
#1 Good Men will Die.

lyons
Apprentice Gun Trader
Next Firearm: Glock 17 Gen 1

Post by lyons » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:31 am

Ive purchased 3 gen 1 Glock 17's online and none of them cost $300.00. They all start around $400.00 for a beat up one. I watched the market for 2 years and a gen 1 Glock 17 in good shape goes for around $600.00 with really nice ones going for $700.00 to $800.00. Of course there are anomalies here and there.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ghillieinthemist » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:24 pm

I paid 475.00 I got the Glock 17 Gen1, a stevens bolt action 20G --Two Mags for the Glock a 16 and a 10 Rounder. the dude threw in a 1 gallon ziplock bag of .308. They are reloads...he is an Army Ranger. I trust his abilities when it comes to reloading I guess, plus...they were free. and a box of 20G ammo. I had to drive about 2 hours so I gave me a super deal for my "troubles". I thanked him for his service and the sweet deal and informed him I was a Navy vet. I rounded it up to 500 Shook hands and we parted ways.