Discuss AR / M4 / M16 / AK / SKS...
pacnw
Gun Trader
City: North of Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: one that goes bang!!

AR scope mount opinions

Post by pacnw » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:53 pm

I am mounting scopes on a couple ARs.
I bought several mounts and am looking at them and thinking some may be better than the other. However, I am basing that on my observations and thoughts and nothing else.

Burris P.E.P.R.
Vortex
SWFA S.S.A.L.T.

Seems like the Burris and the SWFA are clones, with the SWFA being a bit longer.

What stuck out to me is that the Vortex only has one rail engagement point while the others have two. I may be wrong, but wouldn't this keep the scope more stable?
Also, Vortex has 4 screws on the rings and the others have 6. Seems another plus to keeping the scope secure.

Any practical experience from someone with these or others? I have the RRA cantilever coming on Monday.

Thanks

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Re: AR scope mount opinions

Post by ghillieinthemist » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:14 am

I just pick up some millet cantilever mounts...clearance sale 9.99 each. They are single cantilever. I bought like 6 of 8 of them.
Do or do not there is no try.

Nutntoit
Global Moderator
City: Valleyford
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 19
Next Firearm: ??
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by Nutntoit » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:36 pm

I have a Burris P.E.P.R and it's been great so far. I don't beat my guns up, but Iv hunted with that rifle and shot it a lot. The scope hasn't moved. I feel like 12 screws and two attachment points may be overkill on a .223. I wish the mount weighed less, and didn't have rail sections that I will never use but all in all it's a solid mount and does what it is supposed to. It is also a pretty good price as far as name brand 1 piece mounts go.

Grace_Hunter07
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: 700Rem
Next Firearm: ???

Post by Grace_Hunter07 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:06 pm

Its going to be dependent upon what kind of optic you are using. I have the Burris PERP and the Vortex cantilever.

My carbine 'M4" has a Vortext Strikefire on it with the Vortex cantilever mount. Works really well with a red dot optic.

My rifle 'M16" copy...Has a 3-9X40 Vortex scope sitting in the Burris PERP mount...

You pickin up what I'm laying down??