Discuss AR / M4 / M16 / AK / SKS...
fballcrazywagner
Gun Trader
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: Glock 31
Next Firearm: AK-47

Riser?

Post by fballcrazywagner » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Hey all. So I am ordering a scope for my Ar15. This will be the first time I've ever ran a scope on any of my fire arms, I've always been an AK with iron sights guy but I recently decided to join the dark side haha. My question is are risers a necessity or preference? I did a lot of research into the scope I am ordering and everyone mentioned a riser to go with it like it wouldn't work without it. I couldn't imagine that is the case. Should I spend the extra 10 bucks on the riser when I order the scope? Or is a plausible for me to get efficient with the scope without one. Sorry if this is a dumb question. Thank you for your time.

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Riser?

Post by bladebum » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:05 pm

It would depend on the type of scope mount and front sight you'll be using. With an A2 front sight post, you may see a faint blur (interference) at low power, in the bottom part of the scope. High power looks past it. I found it to be a minor issue. Here is an article on the subject. http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/0 ... erference/ :)
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

fballcrazywagner
Gun Trader

Post by fballcrazywagner » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:21 pm

As of right now I have no front sight. But plan on getting flip ups. Thank you for the info!

Sandaholic
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: 22lrAR cause its fun
Next Firearm: P226

Post by Sandaholic » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:31 am

I think most standard height 1913 picatinny rail scope mounts will work with up to a 50mm objective lens diam.
It's unfortunate that so many have succumb to the propaganda and new age terrorism. Most of you believed the 2nd amendment gave teeth to our ability to fight for our rights. Now through coercion on a massive scale, you want to restrict our freedoms because of your fear.

Cheers to the Trump years! Here's to hoping justice returns to the land and we get 4 more!

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by hatchdog » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:57 am

A different route to go is to use an offset (cantilever) mount which incorporates both the rings and the riser block in one unit. Not only will this mount raise the scope to the proper height but will allow more lateral movement to place the scope far enough forward for proper eye relief. That being said, another method is to use extra high rings. I have an AR with a very small 3x scope on it and I mounted it with Weaver extra high quick loc rings and it worked out perfectly for this short scope.

Hers is a link to an example of the cantilever mount.

https://www.amazon.com/CCOP-MNT-1516-Pr ... B00DP26OUK

fballcrazywagner
Gun Trader

Post by fballcrazywagner » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Thanks for all the info guys!

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: CDA
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: AAC MPW
Next Firearm: Uzi/MP5/Mac-10

Post by Torakan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Depending in the scope you want to run, a Burris PEPR 1 piece mount is my preferred mounting system.
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired