wild bunch 1911

Just in time for Christmas!
jime444
City: Chattaroy, WA
Favorite Firearm: the one Im shooting
Next Firearm: RPG

wild bunch 1911

Post by jime444 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:26 pm

So, if YOU were going to buy a 1911 to shoot Wild Bunch action pistol; GI/Mil-std style, what would you buy? Try to get something useful right out of the box. Mostly.

Springfield Mil-spec, RIA, etc. etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Jim

rgg16g
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Melbourne
State: FL

Re: wild bunch 1911

Post by rgg16g » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:36 pm

jime444 wrote:So, if YOU were going to buy a 1911 to shoot Wild Bunch action pistol; GI/Mil-std style, what would you buy? Try to get something useful right out of the box. Mostly.

Springfield Mil-spec, RIA, etc. etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Jim
I have had good luck with my Tisas. Several of the local wild bunch shooters like the RIA. I have shot the RIA and it is pretty nice. If you get a RIA with 3 dots sights you can still use them but will need to black them out.

I have modded my Tisas with a light trigger and set the recoil spring to work well with light loads. It runs very well. The original sights on the Tisas are very small, I have added larger sights that are still legal.

RLHas
Local SGT Sponsor
City: Medical Lake
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Springfield EMP .40
Next Firearm: AR 10 or Bolt action
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by RLHas » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:23 am

:D Talk to Dirty Southpaw about his RIA 1911... :D
My Glock Doc
509-869-2754
Call for appointment

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NRA Member

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:08 pm

I don't have any first hand experience with the Tisas but I've handled and shot the RIA's and I like them, and they seem to have a good reputation.
My experience with 1911's has shown me that the magazines are the most likely culprits whenever there is a malfunctioning problem and I use nothing but Wilson mags and I like the fact that they are 8-roun capacity but I also like the flat cast steel floorplate which would be good for a wild bunch type gun if they are allowed in competition.

The Tisas use Mec-Gar mags but I don't know about RIA. Also the Tisas are made in Turkey and the Turks seem to make pretty good guns but I've heard the Tisas have pretty stiff triggers and would require the attention of a very good gunsmith which would just happen to be our own RlHas.

I'm one of these rare birds that doesn't like my 1911's to have any modern "enhancements" with the exception of replacing the original GI skinny front sights with narrow rear notch. I like the series 70 sights better because my eyes are not what they used to be. I don't like the slanted slide serrations and it's nice to see guns like these being offered. Springfields 1911A1'as that are supposedly mil-spec have slanted slide serrations. And don't get me started about FORWARD slide serrations.

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

rgg16g
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by rgg16g » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:11 am

(FYI for those that don't know,)
Magazines for Wild Bunch Traditional should be flush fit and I like Chip McCormick Shooting Star. I have a bunch and they all run great. My other brands do not run perfectly. You only load 5 rounds per mag so 7 or 8 round mags are fine.

In Wild Bunch you come to the shooting line with slide forward on a EMPTY chamber, 5 round mag loaded in the gun. You carry at least 4 extra mags on your person. You charge the weapon on the clock (unlike IDPA or other orgs).

Traditional class requires a basic GI type 1911 (like Ron likes :lol: ) and you must shoot one handed.

Modern class allows for common upgrades you see today, beaver tail, extend controls and a whole bunch of other stuff. You can shoot two handed in modern.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/153169 ... ound-steel

ron
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: G20SF
Next Firearm: Flintlock Rifle

Post by ron » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:08 am

rgg16g wrote:(FYI for those that don't know,)
Magazines for Wild Bunch Traditional should be flush fit and I like Chip McCormick Shooting Star. I have a bunch and they all run great. My other brands do not run perfectly. You only load 5 rounds per mag so 7 or 8 round mags are fine.

In Wild Bunch you come to the shooting line with slide forward on a EMPTY chamber, 5 round mag loaded in the gun. You carry at least 4 extra mags on your person. You charge the weapon on the clock (unlike IDPA or other orgs).

Traditional class requires a basic GI type 1911 (like Ron likes :lol: ) and you must shoot one handed.

Modern class allows for common upgrades you see today, beaver tail, extend controls and a whole bunch of other stuff. You can shoot two handed in modern.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/153169 ... ound-steel
Any reason that you know of for the 5 round rule? Sargent York would have been in trouble that time he picked off 6 enemy soldiers with 6 rounds from his 1911 if he only had five rounds in the mag and no spare mag.

By the way those were SIX One Shot Stops on rapidly moving targets (not a block of Jello sitting on a table!) using 45 hardball and a one hand hold.

--From Wikipedia:

During the assault, six German soldiers in a trench near York charged him with fixed bayonets. York had fired all the rounds in his M1917 Enfield rifle,[23] but drew his M1911 automatic pistol[24] and shot all six soldiers before they could reach him.[25]

German First Lieutenant Paul Jürgen Vollmer, commander of the First Battalion, 120th Landwehr Infantry, emptied his Luger trying to kill York while he was contending with the machine guns. Failing to injure York, and seeing his mounting losses, he offered in English to surrender the unit to York, who accepted.[26]

By the end of the engagement, York and his seven men marched 132 German prisoners back to the American lines. Upon returning to his unit, York reported to his brigade commander, General Julian R. Lindsey, who remarked "Well York, I hear you have captured the whole damn German army." York replied "No sir. I got only 132."
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

rgg16g
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by rgg16g » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:10 am

ron wrote:Any reason that you know of for the 5 round rule?
I believe the reason is to keep things easy to integrate with Cowboy Action where revolvers are limited to 5 rounds (for obvious reasons if you're shooting SAA Colts and replicas). Wild Bunch has been around a long time as sort of a side match to the main shooting event of Cowboy Action Shooting. The CAS stages are set up for 5 round guns so the wild bunch stages are written with 5 round magazines in mind. Also SASS is very safety oriented, maybe to much so. With the 1911 you can not move with gun in hand with a live round in the chamber (you can't in Cowboy either), the 1911 must be at slide lock when moving. This will sound strange to those who partake in other forums of action shooting (IDPA, 3 Gun) but that is how it is. So if I were to shoot 5 of my 7 1911 rounds at a 5 shot plate rack I would have to manually lock the slide open to move to the next shooting position. That would have you at the next 5 shot shooting sequence with a magazine without enough bullets. So you would be at a disadvantage anyways by loading more.