300 Blackout

Discuss all things rifles and shotguns...
EWU92
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Winchester
Next Firearm: Taurus Judge

300 Blackout

Post by EWU92 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:18 pm

Is there a bullet that will expand at the subsonic velocity of the 300 blackout? I shoot my rifle suppressed for coyotes and have issues with clean kills. More often than not a kill shot is necessary.
This account is shared by two brothers. So don't assume it's me because it could be him.

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: CDA
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: AAC MPW
Next Firearm: Uzi/MP5/Mac-10

Re: 300 Blackout

Post by Torakan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:22 am

What bullet are you using now? My AAC MPW 9.5” suppressed with an AAC 762 SDN-6 gets about 930 FPS suppressed. At sub speeds even shooting HP or SP bullets You might not get any expansion. Might try some loads in the 1400 FPS range that while super, might not be too loud thru your suppressor. It’s one of those instances where you might not be able to get the terminal ballistics you need and still be under 130 dbl.
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

garand
SGT Premium Supporter
State: WA

Post by garand » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:37 pm

I have loaded some different bullets and shot a few of the factory loads for subsonic and have had no luck. Gemtech makes a 187 grain subsonic which they claim is ideal for deer and boar hunting but with my test media, have had only slight bullet expansion, not exceeding the diameter of the bullet. Probably great medicine for boar as they are a thicker skin and heavier boned animal. It is a polymer tipped round which is designed to facilitate the expansion upon impact as the polymer pushes into the lead and forces the copper outward but I have not received great results yet with this round out of a 16" barrel. It may fair okay against a coyote if shooting into the shoulder. Several of the bullets I have tested tumbled upon impact, in particular, the AMAX tumbled most often, but it was not uncommon for the others to tumble as well. It has been suggested to me to contact the various manufacturers and get their recommendations if they have a bullet which will expand at subsonic velocities. Just haven't taken the time to do so yet. As the round continues to grow in popularity, it is only a matter of time before someone gets the hint they should make an effective subsonic hunting bullet for deer and other medium and small game for the Black Out.

Rifle hunting bullets are designed for controlled expansion at moderate to high velocities and most have an alloy core for hardness, deformation control, prevention of breaking apart and bullet weight retention. Some, of course, perform much better than others. Match bullets typically have a thinner wall and tend to break up on impact and not for controlled expansion, thus the reason they are not recommended for big game hunting. If you can find a bullet with a softer core and a thin wall jacket designed to expand at lower velocities, polymer tip or hollow point, this may do the trick. Sierra Match King is a thinner wall bullet but I don't know the hardness of the lead. Berger hunting bullets are designed to break apart, fragment and not pass though but stay inside the animal for maximum shock and energy transfer, but again, they probably perform best at moderate to high velocities. I have not had the opportunity to test either of these bullets but will do so once I have the time.

At higher velocities with 125 grain Sierra Pro Hunters and the Hornady SST, expansion has been very impressive and the shock cavity, well, lets just say "WOW". The Pro Hunter had a much superior weight retention with 95% or better while the SST was behind that at closer to 80-85%. I have not been able to locate any 200+ grain bullet weights in either of these designs and I do not believe they are making them. At 2200+ FPS, the 125's both perform very well.

Please post a reply if you find something which is more effective. I would like to take a look at your findings and try it out.

EWU92
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by EWU92 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:08 am

Great info guys......I am shooting a Ruger All American in 300 blackout with a silencerco harvester 30 cal can. Shoots fantastic though it took a while to get a good magazine. I have shot supersonic loads through my can and they are slightly muffled but still have a crack. The 208 gr Amax performs well at subsonic velocities in terms of accuracy but zero expansion.
This account is shared by two brothers. So don't assume it's me because it could be him.

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: CDA
Favorite Firearm: AAC MPW
Next Firearm: Uzi/MP5/Mac-10

Post by Torakan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:11 pm

I’m not sure we are going to get much expansion shooting subs. I would have thought with the 16” barrel you would get a little more velocity. I haven’t chrono’d my 16” 300 BO just the SBR. I’ve seen some guys using cast lead bullets, but I don’t want to run those thru my suppressor.
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

EWU92
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by EWU92 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:19 pm

The 208 A Max will come apart on shoulder blades or skulls. I love my blackout and seldom shoot anything else. It allows me the ability to recreate without drawing attention to myself or disturbing others. I don't scatter animals like deer or elk by taking them out of their natural patterns with explosive gunfire.

garand
SGT Premium Supporter
State: WA

Post by garand » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:05 am

Good to know. I have been dying to deer hunt with some sub sonic rounds but I am concerned with their performance and clean kills for deer. I too, very much so, really like the blackout. We have taken 5 deer with 125 grain bullets and they do not go far (20-50 yards, and only one went 50) and these are not very loud at all. I think I will do more testing next year and see if I can get these to perform with a shoulder shot. Are you getting much expansion with the shoulder shots or are they mostly fragmenting?

EWU92
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by EWU92 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:55 pm

No expansion on coyotes they punch clean through. On hard bone I believe the 208 AMAX is just fragmenting. I enjoy the lack of report and can fire multiple shot from one location.

Elk Stalker 45-70
Serious Gun Trader
City: Kingston
Favorite Firearm: 1885 Highwall 45-70
Next Firearm: Winchester 1886

Post by Elk Stalker 45-70 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:09 pm

I don't own a 300 blkout but I think if I were trying to accomplish this task, I'd look into one of the bullets designed for a
30-30. They show good expansion at some very low velocities. Maybe it would be worth investigating.
I know with round nose or flatpoints you loose aerodynamics, but at 900fps, i don't think you'd be shooting far enough to see much difference

C13A
Serious Gun Trader
City: Martha, KY
Favorite Firearm: M14, M1 Grnd
Next Firearm: SAI XDM 40sw 4.5"

Post by C13A » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:17 am

Alexander Arms makes some subsonic expanding ammo. I don't think it is available for reloading, but the AA loaded ammo is no more expensive than Lehigh Defense subsonic expanding projectiles. Good luck.
http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Ammuni ... sonic.html
A "whiz" means you're generally disliked. A crack means its personal... A 107mm rocket means you shouldn't have worn flip flops...

Always interested in trading for 1898 Krag or Win 67 type single shot 22 rifles.

Texting is not a good option to make a deal with me. Please use the PMs only. Thanks.

Prefer to meet at Fred Meyer at Freya/I-90 for Non-Firearm Sales.