SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Beretta AL 390
Next Firearm: Ruger 10/22 tactical
SGT Supporter: Yes

Trick shooting

Post by Wigeon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:49 pm

Does anyone on here do any trick shooting? I am referencing Tom Knapp or Patrick Flanigan style shooting, where you throw several clays up in the air with your strong hand, while holding the shotgun in your weak hand. You then shoulder the shotgun and shoot the targets as they fall. This is just one trick shot and there are several variations including loading the gun after the clay is thrown, shooting from the hip, over the head, behind the back etc etc. So has anyone else on here messed around with this at all? What shots have you made? What shotgun do you use?
Kill em and grill em, whack em and stack em

The Mechanic
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: something in .46acp

Re: Trick shooting

Post by The Mechanic » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:09 pm

I did some with my 870 with a 28" barrel. Best I did was 3 clays at once. Those guys make it look so easy! My new fun has been distance shooting with 1911s and my newly aquired Glock 19. At Bogg's I've gotten pretty good at shooting from the entrance gate to the back and keeping it within about a 4'-6' area. Switching from 9mm to .45acp really screws me up though.

I'd love to know if anyone has ever measured the length of that range. I figure it about 200yds, any other guesses?
"Kill 'em with kindness"

Do these moobs make you randy? Do they baby?!?

EWU92
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Winchester
Next Firearm: Taurus Judge

Post by EWU92 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:55 pm

How do they avoid hitting multiple clays at one time?
This account is shared by two brothers. So don't assume it's me because it could be him.

Masonryman
Senior Pro Gun Trader
City: Benewah Valley
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: FiveseveN

Post by Masonryman » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:29 am

The Mechanic wrote:I did some with my 870 with a 28" barrel. Best I did was 3 clays at once. Those guys make it look so easy! My new fun has been distance shooting with 1911s and my newly aquired Glock 19. At Bogg's I've gotten pretty good at shooting from the entrance gate to the back and keeping it within about a 4'-6' area. Switching from 9mm to .45acp really screws me up though.

I'd love to know if anyone has ever measured the length of that range. I figure it about 200yds, any other guesses?
From the gate to the big rock in the back is right at 320 IIRC
You can ignore reality... but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The Mechanic
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: something in .46acp

Post by The Mechanic » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:44 am

Thanks MM. At that distance I'm having to aim about 15' above and adjust for wind...kinda pointless but it is fun :)
"Kill 'em with kindness"

Do these moobs make you randy? Do they baby?!?

Wigeon
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Beretta AL 390
Next Firearm: Ruger 10/22 tactical

Post by Wigeon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:55 am

EWU92 wrote:How do they avoid hitting multiple clays at one time?
The clays are so close when you throw them up yourself that your pattern is pretty small. You can also adjust your pattern with choke tubes for different sized patterns etc. The trick is really in how you throw the clays up so they separate in the air.
Kill em and grill em, whack em and stack em