ItsMe
Rookie Member
City: Pinehurst
State: ID
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: 1911

.45 VS. 10mm

Post by ItsMe » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:42 am

I want another hand gun. My buddy has a 10mm and suggests that 10mm should be my next. I'm considering a .45. Not arguing, I think either would suit the need. Any of you have a preference and willing to share why? (Feel, durability, accuracy, ammo availability and cost, caliber similarities / differences, etc.) Is one that much more advantageous than the other?

I'm not looking for a spitting match....I'm just looking for fact based information, or personal experience. Which do you have / want, and share why.

Thanks.
Some times you learn a lesson. Some times ya teach one.

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: .45 VS. 10mm

Post by thumpar » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:34 am

Shoot both in similar guns. Glock offers both so you could find almost identical guns other than caliber and shoot them to see what you like and can shoot best. Feel and accuracy will depend on the shooter for the most part. Cost and availability of ammo is easy to see the difference on. It is kind of like the .40 vs. 9mm debate. On paper the .40 may look like a better round but I can't shoot it well so I stick with 9mm in those cases.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

Sandaholic
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: 22lrAR cause its fun
Next Firearm: P226

Post by Sandaholic » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:44 am

I'm sticking with .45acp purely based on the cost. Having said that I would love to have a 10mm at some point.
It's unfortunate that so many have succumb to the propaganda and new age terrorism. Most of you believed the 2nd amendment gave teeth to our ability to fight for our rights. Now through coercion on a massive scale, you want to restrict our freedoms because of your fear.

Cheers to the Trump years! Here's to hoping justice returns to the land and we get 4 more!

Bob R
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
City: PAHRUMP
State: NV
Favorite Firearm: So many guns
Next Firearm: So little time

Post by Bob R » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:41 pm

I have a Ted Yost prepared Delta Elite 10mm. It is my daily carry. It is accurate and I have been shooting the 1911 platform since I was a wee pup.

If you don't reload and you want to shoot a lot you will pay for it. You will pay a lot. :(

Shooting the 10mm is a joy, it is flat, accurate and because I am doing it in a 1911 platform I keep the 180gr pills to about 1250fps.

The 45 on the other had has a gentler recoil, not as snappy as the 10mm. I run 230gr pills at about 900fps.

Either of them will do nearly any job you ask of them.

You can actually get one of each at a reasonable price these days, RIA has them both. ;)

bob
No, you can't have my rights. I am still using them!

dillonivik
Serious Gun Trader
City: North Spokane
Favorite Firearm: SIG P238

Post by dillonivik » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:30 pm

45 for tradition, 10mm for slightly better performance. Thats how I would break it down. That said I would got for 45acp, simply because its a JMB invented round, and I kinda like that guys work.

Haynes and Sons Guns
Local SGT Sponsor
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: Glock
Next Firearm: Hadron Enforcer

Post by Haynes and Sons Guns » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:14 am

You will find that most commercially loaded 10mm ammo is ballistically identical to .40cal. The price is different, you will pay for 10mm, but will be shooting a long 40 for almost twice the price. Exceptions are of course custom self defense ammo. There is nothing that will make you smile more than a hot 10mm, but hard to come by and expensive. IF you load your own, forget everything I just said. LOL
Haynes and Sons Guns LLC

$35 Transfers- $25 Veterans, First Responders

PLEASE TEXT ONLY!
TEXT- (509)475-8125

We are members of and financially endorse and support:
The National Rifle Association, www.nra.org
The Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org
The Silent Majority Foundation, www.smfjb.org
The Conservative Ladies of Washington, www.conservativeladiesofwa.com

UpInIdaho
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Athol
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 45-70

Post by UpInIdaho » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:27 am

Haynes and Sons Guns wrote:You will find that most commercially loaded 10mm ammo is ballistically identical to .40cal. The price is different, you will pay for 10mm, but will be shooting a long 40 for almost twice the price. Exceptions are of course custom self defense ammo. There is nothing that will make you smile more than a hot 10mm, but hard to come by and expensive. IF you load your own, forget everything I just said. LOL
That was little more true a few years ago, but even some of the larger manufacturers are producing loads now that take better advantage of the 10mm's potential. For example, Winchester loads 175 grain Silvertips at 1290 fps and Federal loads the 180 grain Trophy Bonded at 1275 fps. While that's not quite as hot as some of the smaller boutique manufacturers load, it's still well out of .40 S&W territory.

Pushing the bullet faster doesn't always get the desired results, as far as performance. A lot of guys will buy off the shelf bullets and load them to velocities that cause over expansion, and under-penetration, losing the advantage the 10mm can have.

casper
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Cheney

Post by casper » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:42 pm

It depends what you're main intention with the gun will be. In my opinion, the .45 is a better defense gun and or pliker, 10mm makes a better hunting or woods defense gun, plus it sounds a bit more bad ass though it's basically a hot .357. The reason I believe the .45 makes a better defense round is whether or not the hollow point does what it was supposed to do you still have a bigger hole, and less recoil for quicker follow up shots. Also the ammo is cheaper and more widely available. I like the fact that while I'm out in the woods I can stuff 15 rounds of heavy 10mm into my glock which should provide sufficient protection from wolves, cougar, moose, and bears...i had it available this summer when I stumbled across a grizzly, didn't use it but made me feel much more comfortable!

257ROBERT
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Elk
Favorite Firearm: Model 70 Featherweig
Next Firearm: Undecided

Post by 257ROBERT » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:03 pm

You could go with a 1911 in 45 acp and with a simple barrel swap also shoot 400 corbon for a little bit of each
"Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right".

DO NOT DRINK AND TYPE! It never ends well.

ItsMe
Rookie Member
City: Pinehurst
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: 1911

Post by ItsMe » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:39 pm

Thanks all for your input and wisdom.

257Robert:
I did end up with a 1911 in .45 I thought that I would put this one in a leather shoulder rig until I discovered the difficulty / expense of getting a shoulder rig to fit a 1911 rail. That holster doesn't seem to be the standard from the more prolific manufacturers, and the cost of a custom leather rig is hard to justify.....at least for me.
Some times you learn a lesson. Some times ya teach one.

Downeaster
City: Coeur d'Alene
Favorite Firearm: .375 ruger
Next Firearm: shiloh sharps

Post by Downeaster » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:40 am

casper wrote: I like the fact that while I'm out in the woods I can stuff 15 rounds of heavy 10mm into my glock which should provide sufficient protection from wolves, cougar, moose, and bears...!
This!!!
Sounds like u found what you are looking for in the gun for now, but not sure what kind of carry you are looking for. If its a back country rig id whole heartedly suggest the diamond D chest rigs. About as comfortable and tough and functional as ive ever worn. I have two so far and id have three if my bisley blackhawk fit in their blackhawk holster. admittedly the price is getting up there, but maybe ur getting a good tax refund ;)

Haynes and Sons Guns
Local SGT Sponsor
Favorite Firearm: Glock
Next Firearm: Hadron Enforcer

Post by Haynes and Sons Guns » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:36 am

"That was little more true a few years ago, but even some of the larger manufacturers are producing loads now that take better advantage of the 10mm's potential. For example, Winchester loads 175 grain Silvertips at 1290 fps and Federal loads the 180 grain Trophy Bonded at 1275 fps. While that's not quite as hot as some of the smaller boutique manufacturers load, it's still well out of .40 S&W territory."

Odd, I was at Sharpshooters the other day, looking at boxes of ammo and saw that ballistics printed on the winchester boxes were identical to the 40 with quite a bit more cost attached to the 10mm. I'm not sure where you are looking for your boutique ammo, but it isn't in Spokane.
Haynes and Sons Guns LLC

$35 Transfers- $25 Veterans, First Responders

PLEASE TEXT ONLY!
TEXT- (509)475-8125

We are members of and financially endorse and support:
The National Rifle Association, www.nra.org
The Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org
The Silent Majority Foundation, www.smfjb.org
The Conservative Ladies of Washington, www.conservativeladiesofwa.com

JJMF2112
Serious Gun Trader
City: N. Spokane
Favorite Firearm: LaRue SBR 556
Next Firearm: Noveske 300 blkout

Post by JJMF2112 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:00 pm

I like 45 better, because if you ever want to Suppress it. You don't have to buy special ammo.

Gutpile
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: 1911's
Next Firearm: Another 1911

Post by Gutpile » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:46 am

Depends on the purpose. Just for self defense and plinking? .45

I own a couple 10's and really do like them a lot but if you don't reload you should. I've ran a lot if factory 10mm over a chroni and it's identical to 40mm in velocity. So it'd be silly to spend the extra dough for the same velocity ammo. You could buy buffalo bore or whatever but you'll pay.

If you run hot reloads you should buy a better barrel with a supported chamber so you don't blow up. I had the (glock smile) on my reloads so I bought a lone wolf barrel.

Also hot 10's (mine are 1400+ fps) aren't as fun to shoot as a 45 or a 9, especially out of my glock 29. After a mag or two it starts to smart a little

I use mine when hunting in bear country. I once had to finish a wounded bear with a .45 and it sucked so that's why I went to a 10mm.

UpInIdaho
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Athol
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 45-70

Post by UpInIdaho » Mon May 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Haynes and Sons Guns wrote:You will find that most commercially loaded 10mm ammo is ballistically identical to .40cal. The price is different, you will pay for 10mm, but will be shooting a long 40 for almost twice the price. Exceptions are of course custom self defense ammo. There is nothing that will make you smile more than a hot 10mm, but hard to come by and expensive. IF you load your own, forget everything I just said. LOL
Haynes and Sons Guns wrote: Odd, I was at Sharpshooters the other day, looking at boxes of ammo and saw that ballistics printed on the winchester boxes were identical to the 40 with quite a bit more cost attached to the 10mm. I'm not sure where you are looking for your boutique ammo, but it isn't in Spokane.
Odd. Winchester seems to be just as confused as I am then, since they only list one 10mm load, that 175 grain Silvertip at 1290 fps that I mentioned. And Winchester isn't one of the "boutique" manufacturers that I was referring to.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/hand ... MSTHP.aspx

NOIDCO
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cocolalla

Post by NOIDCO » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:47 pm

45 in Glok,XD or a good 1911. For walking in the woods get a conversion kit from Rowland in 460 Rowland. 230 grain fmj at 1400fps! Thats .44 mag horse power in an auto.

toddSpokane
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: Glock 50
Next Firearm: Glock 51

Post by toddSpokane » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:06 pm

Love the 10mm. I carry a Glock 20 in the woods with double tap 200 grain hard cast. Check out the kenai chest holster for outdoor carry.
I am looking for:

S&W 657 4"
S&W 63 4"
Glock 29SF or 29 upper
And ground squirrels or marmots

Mr.black
City: Spokane. Valley Wa
Favorite Firearm: Sig
Next Firearm: H&k

Post by Mr.black » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:58 am

10mm has more energy it's a solid round but that energy comes with a little more kick in my experience. The .45 is a time tested large round but it is slow moving it has less penetration but that may not be a bad thing depending what your looking for 45 is also a little cheaper. Hope this helps

savage300rum
Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: savage
Next Firearm: ??

Post by savage300rum » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:15 am

Look at the 45 super.. originally i thought a 10mm would be an ideal woods carry gun...then i learned about the 45 super!! Go over to the glock talk forum and do a search for : 45 super--you will be amazed!!

Cooke425
City: Rathdrum
Favorite Firearm: 458 Socom
Next Firearm: A tank

Post by Cooke425 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:46 am

savage300rum wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:15 am
Look at the 45 super.. originally i thought a 10mm would be an ideal woods carry gun...then i learned about the 45 super!! Go over to the glock talk forum and do a search for : 45 super--you will be amazed!!
That's what I did after considering a 10mm or 44mag revolver. Essentially 460 Rowland without the custom brass (I don't recommend loading these without distinguishing them from regular 45ACP unless it's the only 45 you own). Although we call it 45 SUPER (not to be confused with the 45 Super already available). Need a compensator and fully supported chamber, and maybe a stouter spring - I went KKM barrel on mine and Storm Lake on the wife's. Pumping out hardcast 270s at 1100 fps is pretty cool, and not as nasty on the hands as a magnum revolver that doesn't weigh twice as much with half as many rounds.