M&P Shield 9mm, input please

Discuss all things Handguns...
Bellator12
City: Post Falls
State: ID

M&P Shield 9mm, input please

Post by Bellator12 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:19 pm

Looking to pick up a carry piece for the female who dictates my life. I'm a 40 fan personally but she has limited experience with handguns and I'd like to get something with reasonable recoil until she is more confident. M&P shield in 9mm has my attention, online reviews seem good but my local FFL where I will be buying is not a big fan of this particular handgun, citing multiple firearms needing warranty work and S&W being reluctant to perform repairs. Can anyone with real world experience with this handgun as an EDC comment with their likes, dislikes, issues encountered, or refute what I'm hearing from my FFL? Any advice helping me make a well educated purchase, even if it's not this particular handgun, is welcomed. For the record, of the many she has put in her hand (not fired yet though) the M&P shield and the Taurus 709 fit her hand best. Kahrs, Taurus PT111, Ruger LC9, XDm's, and other smaller framed handguns have already been vetoed. She prefers something slim that still allows the pinky to be on the grip. Please help as she's driving me freaking insane trying to find the right choice for the intended purpose.

RLHas
Local SGT Sponsor
City: Medical Lake
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Springfield EMP .40
Next Firearm: AR 10 or Bolt action
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: M&P Shield 9mm, input please

Post by RLHas » Wed May 24, 2017 6:28 am

The M&P Shield pistols are a solid, tried and proven firearm.
The only recall out on them that I know of is for a faulty trigger hinge pin and this issue has been very limited to only a few pistols.
They are a safe pistol. Naturally anyone who carries should know their pistol inside and out at least well enough to be proficient with it.
Not sure what your FFL's problem is with them. Maybe he likes Jimenez...
My Glock Doc
509-869-2754
Call for appointment

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NRA Member

hatchdog
Classifieds Moderator
City: Deer Park
Favorite Firearm: S&W 4506
Next Firearm: 30-30 Henry

Post by hatchdog » Wed May 24, 2017 6:46 am

I have a Shield in 9mm and like it a lot. I bought it from a friend who had both a 9 and a 40 available for me to shoot and I had the opportunity to buy either. I found the 9 was much more accurate that the 40, both due to less recoil and the 9 had a better trigger. It's not my primary carry but when I do carry it I use an outside the belt holster. I found it just a bit too uncomfortable for IWB carry. It's a fun gun to take to the range for casual plinking, very comfortable to shoot. It has never had a malfunction of any sort.

edzz
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Hayden
Favorite Firearm: M-14
Next Firearm: TBD

Post by edzz » Wed May 24, 2017 8:32 am

My wife bought her 9mm Shield about 4 years ago. Has proven to be reliable, easy to carry and to shoot. She shot every compact .380 and 9mm she could get her hands on before buying her shield finding that it was the easiest for her to shoot and control. The 9mm is has more manageable recoil for her than most .380's, I would not even consider the .40.

Currently the sale prices on these don't leave much profit for FFL's and maybe influencing your FFL's opinion. :roll:

PSA and other distributers have very good prices on these right now and S&W is running a $75. rebate. :D

http://palmettostatearmory.com/smith-we ... m-9mm.html
Ed

The Few
The Proud

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

F350Crew
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls IDAHO!!
Favorite Firearm: 6.5 GAP/1911
Next Firearm: Lever 44 Mag

Post by F350Crew » Wed May 24, 2017 9:06 am

pm sent :{)
"Integrity & Honor"

CSMRET
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Ephrata
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: Colt Commander

Post by CSMRET » Wed May 24, 2017 9:48 am

Had one in 9mm and really liked it... Never had any problems....
When one encounters a naysayer like you did, I have found that he has something else on the shelf that will be "just what you are looking for"....... also ask the person how many he has handled, shot, and had problems with of the "problem item"...
just my $.02...... 8-)

lively stone
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: Glock 34 Gen 5 MOS
Location: Standing in God's loving grace and peace (Rom 5:1-2, 8:1-2, 28)

Post by lively stone » Wed May 24, 2017 11:28 am

Has your wife handled the Walther PPS M2?

It's another quality handgun very similar in size to the 9mm Shield that she might want to consider.

I am glad that she is taking her time and is looking at a number of options.

I sincerely hope she finds the right fit.

The best to you,

lively stone
Jesus Christ died for our sins.
He was buried and He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures.
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.
(See 1 Cor 15:3-4, Acts 16:31, John 3:16, 36)

Torakan
SGT Premium Supporter
City: CDA
Favorite Firearm: AAC MPW
Next Firearm: Uzi/MP5/Mac-10

Post by Torakan » Wed May 24, 2017 1:01 pm

I have 3 Shields, once in .40 S&W and 2 9MM Performance Center models. I'd spend the extra $100 and get the PC model. Those are some really nice pistols for the money.
Iraq Combat Veteran
Infantry Master Gunner
US Army Retired

Bellator12
City: Post Falls

Post by Bellator12 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:06 pm

lively stone wrote:Has your wife handled the Walther PPS M2?

It's another quality handgun very similar in size to the 9mm Shield that she might want to consider.

I am glad that she is taking her time and is looking at a number of options.

I sincerely hope she finds the right fit.

The best to you,

lively stone
No we have not looked at that one yet, thanks for the advice. And thank you to the rest of the folks who have provided input so far!

eph411
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: Glock 20
Next Firearm: Dan Wesson Razorback

Post by eph411 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 pm

I have owned two Shield 9mm's, and have one currently that is my primary EDC. I shoot about 200 rounds a month through it and have had no issues, in addition to which last year I ran about 1000 rounds through mine at a multiple day handgun course with no cleanings and zero malfunctions. I've got a lot of other pistols that get shot regularly and carried occasionally, but the Shield is the gun I trust and carry 99% of the time.

pacnw
Gun Trader
City: North of Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: one that goes bang!!

Post by pacnw » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:03 pm

Torakan wrote: I'd spend the extra $100 and get the PC model. Those are some really nice pistols for the money.
I have read that the ported barrel may be a negative due to muzzle flash.
While in use at the range or "normal" use may be a positive, the use in an "emergency" situation may be too bright(especially in a low/no light scenario). While practice and knowledge of this can minimize or eliminate the "flash", it is something to consider.

I have NO personal experience, but read it a few places and have seen a video or two as demonstration.

Just food for thought.