Coyote Scope setup?

Gear Discussion / Reviews ...
Gewehr 43
City: Ephrata WA
Favorite Firearm: Hmm...
Next Firearm: Glock 20 10MM

Coyote Scope setup?

Post by Gewehr 43 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:32 pm

Wondering what the opinions are regarding a good coyote scope setup?

I'm planning on using it on an AR platform.
I've been out a few times in the plains of Eastern WA. One of the places I am going has some serious range. I could see one coyote across the canyon at 600+yds. Obviously, the .223 isn't ideal for those kind of distances, but that is the kind of out "in the open" i'm dealing with.

I have also thought about using my 30/06 on the serious ranges… It would be a blast as well! But I am kinda hesitant to buy a lower end scope for such a nice gun (It's a beautiful CZ). I'm thinking of saving for a while and buying something in the $500-$1,000 range for it.

I am looking at the Nikon p-223 BDC reticle in the 4x12 as an option for the AR. But I have also looked at the 2.5x10 as an option. I'm a little worried that a 4x12 is going to be tough on those ones 100yds an under. But the 3x9 might be a little too light for those 400+ yard shots.

Another thought is to get the 4x12 and run a 45 degree mounted red dot for the ones that catch you up close by surprise.

My price range is $150 to $400ish.

Any thoughts?

Airon
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Deer Park
State: WA

Re: Coyote Scope setup?

Post by Airon » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:26 pm

I got this one coming this week for my yote rifle. Lower end but its on sale and has pretty good reviews. 129.99 shipped and lifetime warranty through Leupold I figure if its a POS Im not out much.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/563614 ... uctFinding

Gewehr 43
City: Ephrata WA
Favorite Firearm: Hmm...
Next Firearm: Glock 20 10MM

Post by Gewehr 43 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:10 am

Thanks for the link. It looks like a pretty nice setup! My bro has a redfield that is pretty nice. 4x12. It seems really clear.

MisterB1
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Spokane Valley
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Dan Wesson 1911

Post by MisterB1 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:50 pm

I have a Nikon 4-12x40 ProStaff with BDC. It's more than I need for deer hunting in Washington, given most shots are closer up from the heavily wooded areas. That said, I really like it, even at close range because that big scope lets in lots of light. It is very bright. There are times I'm hunting at dusk (still under the legal hour for the day), and I can see way better from the scope than with the naked eye, as far as brightness

RRA629
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Cheney WA
Favorite Firearm: RRA Operator
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by RRA629 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:25 pm

6-18 x 50 Cabelas Tactical (not sure if they are still in production)

Last I checked, hunting at night is legal as long as there are no other game seasons open in that GMU.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:32 pm

Gewehr 43 wrote:Wondering what the opinions are regarding a good coyote scope setup?

I'm planning on using it on an AR platform.
I've been out a few times in the plains of Eastern WA. One of the places I am going has some serious range. I could see one coyote across the canyon at 600+yds. Obviously, the .223 isn't ideal for those kind of distances, but that is the kind of out "in the open" i'm dealing with.

I have also thought about using my 30/06 on the serious ranges… It would be a blast as well! But I am kinda hesitant to buy a lower end scope for such a nice gun (It's a beautiful CZ). I'm thinking of saving for a while and buying something in the $500-$1,000 range for it.

I am looking at the Nikon p-223 BDC reticle in the 4x12 as an option for the AR. But I have also looked at the 2.5x10 as an option. I'm a little worried that a 4x12 is going to be tough on those ones 100yds an under. But the 3x9 might be a little too light for those 400+ yard shots.

Another thought is to get the 4x12 and run a 45 degree mounted red dot for the ones that catch you up close by surprise.

My price range is $150 to $400ish.

Any thoughts?
My thoughts might be a little "out of date' today, but I think I understand the problem well. A decent variable is indeed a good option, but people get a little too taken with guessing what setting, etc, and when they have but seconds and things aren't "just right" they often miss, and then blame the gear. I suggest a different approach. I have long thought that a fixed 6X scope, of high quality, would be the ideal coyote scope. Nothing to fool with, nothing to adjust, just look and shoot. It works exactly the same for that 45yd shot as it does for the 450yd shot. Fixed power scopes are slightly shorter, they are lighter, they are less expensive, and they have fewer parts that can break. If I had a dedicated coyote rifle my ideal scope would likely be a high end 6X.
Of the variables, they will work too, just get in the habit of keeping the scope on a lower setting unless that long shot is offered. Easier to turn it up for the long shot where you have more time than to be unable to find the target at close range, when you have but seconds, because you left it set at the high end. As to the 3x9, it will work fine. With the scope set at 9x that 400yd coyote will appear to only be 33yds away. I think that plenty of sight picture. BDC reticles are nice, but only if they exactly match your rounds trajectory. At longer ranges, where they are intended to be most useful, they will be the most off if they don't match things, and the farther out you go the more exactly they must match your actual trajectory to work.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

LongRifle
City: Deer Park
State: Wa

Post by LongRifle » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:45 pm

I have the Nikon P-223 on my Mossberg MVP and it has turned out to be a great scope for the price. It will hold zero very well and with some good rings it has stood up to the abuse of being drug around the fields and the back of the truck for my own coyote hunts. At 100 yards the coyotes have looked small through the 4 power and the 12 is nice for reaching out or target use. Be aware that the P-223 requires a polymer tipped, 55 grain bullet traveling at 3250 fps to fit the BDC reticle perfectly but I load my rounds to about 3100 fps and it still works great
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."
-Theodore Roosevelt

PaneledZero
Global Moderator
City: Spokane Valley
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: HK, Kimber, Glock
SGT Supporter: Yes

Post by PaneledZero » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:50 pm

I had a Nikon M223 2x7x32. I sold it and just got a Leupold VX-1 3x9x40.. I can't wait to try it out!