Fishtrap Range Closed?

Discuss local ranges...
raynate2022
City: Spokane
Next Firearm: Savage .22 LR

Fishtrap Range Closed?

Post by raynate2022 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:41 pm

Hey all, I've been looking for a nice place to shoot some trap and a couple of buddies recommended Fishtrap. I noticed a post on here from Feb about redoing some fencing and things, that got me excited to head out there and help out with clean up and maybe make some friends. So I hopped onto the BLM site and found this message.

NOTE: The BLM has issued an emergency closure for recreational shooting and target practice affecting the northeastern portion of the Fishtrap Lake Recreation Area.

Since I haven't been out there, I don't know if that's referring to the entire area, or a specific area. Let me know guys! I'd really like a range to call "Home" and I live about 15min from this one. Good hunting!

thumpar
SGT Premium Supporter
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: All of them
Next Firearm: The next good deal.
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: Fishtrap Range Closed?

Post by thumpar » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:24 pm

It is only the east part.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, But always enough time to do it again? - Don S RIP
2/3rds of the worlds surface would be wasted if it wasn't for boating.

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter
City: spokane
Favorite Firearm: 1911-a1
Next Firearm: 6mm Rem

Post by scrappy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:27 pm

I was there today and saw no notices of any sort. I'm the one who repaired the fences and gate, and I am happy to report everything is still as I left it.
If you take the fishtrap exit, cross over the freeway (onto the remnants of Hy-10A from the pre I-90 days) follow it west. You will pass an intersection, then about a mile further on you go under a railroad overpass. With the exception of a small pasture immediately past the overpass on your left, everything on both sides is huntable public land. BUT, only the land in the right side (north side of the road) is open to recreational shooting. About 1/2 mile west of the overpass is an intersection. Go right (north) up over a rise, then down to the railroad tracks. Parking area in on your left by the walk through gate.
You can stop in the BLM office on Fancher and get a free map of the area.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

raynate2022

Post by raynate2022 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:18 am

Thank you so much for the detailed directions. I just bought a new shotgun and I want to go practice some trap before I start shooting at the Rifle Club. Hoping to find someone there to give me some pointers too. Lol

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by scrappy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:17 pm

raynate2022 wrote:Thank you so much for the detailed directions. I just bought a new shotgun and I want to go practice some trap before I start shooting at the Rifle Club. Hoping to find someone there to give me some pointers too. Lol
If trap is your game I have a better spot for you. Outside of medical lake is a small private range called Lone Pine gun club. It's run by jack Dolan. He is a retired marine and has a superb range set up. He is particularly involved in trap/skeet and has several throwers set up for use, and is a good coach as well.
He charges $5 per person and the first time you go he has to give you a walk around and safety talk. There is also a 100m gun range with targets set at 25,50 yds and 100m. The shooting bench is set inside a small barn so you are out of wind,rain,and sun. He has a spotting scope there for use, gun stands, sand bags.

Directions:

I90 to medical lake exit, take 904 into medical lake, go straight through on Brooke road, as you exit town take an immediate left on San Salvador rd. This turns into Espanola rd. Follow it past the veterans cemetery, about a mile west of that it turns north. Continue on Espanola to Hallett rd. Turn west. About 1/2 mile past a RR crossing on the right is Jacks house. There is a small sign saying Lone Pine gun club. Go in driveway and you will see where people park. Best to call first if you are going for the first time. 509-389-8481
you can also go south off hy2 to get there, I think Espanola goes north to the hy.

It is good to live in a depraved time, as one can appear virtuous at little cost.

Just remember......Theres no need to fear....Unnnderdog is here!!! Well, scrappy anyway.....

boarderwayne
Favorite Firearm: m&p 9
Next Firearm: 1911

Post by boarderwayne » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:14 pm

This is my first time hearing of the lone pine range, do you know if he has regular hours during the summer time or is it only open to public certain days ?

scrappy
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by scrappy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:05 pm

boarderwayne wrote:This is my first time hearing of the lone pine range, do you know if he has regular hours during the summer time or is it only open to public certain days ?
Open pretty much every day unless there is something going on like a hunter safety course or an archery meet. Jacks hunter Ed course is probably the best one around too. You shoot nearly every day, but the classes fill up fast!! It's a small range with only 1 shooting bench for rifle/pistol. If someone is already using it you just have to wait. The shotgun range can accommodate 2-3 at once. Give Mr Dolan a call and arrange a time to meet him. He will fill you in on all of the details.

After you get set up you just show up and shoot. You put your $5 in a jar and sign in on the log book (do NOT forget to sign the log book). In the winter he even has propane heaters out there that you can use for a couple extra dollars.

boarderwayne
Favorite Firearm: m&p 9
Next Firearm: 1911

Post by boarderwayne » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:25 pm

This is great, thanks for the info.

raynate2022

Post by raynate2022 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:58 am

Thanks a ton scrappy!! I've been to Jack's place a couple times a long time ago. I had a blast there, I just forgot how to get there. You've made my day!

Spectre_USA
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Sig Sauer P938
Next Firearm: Choices, choices!

Post by Spectre_USA » Thu May 11, 2017 10:30 am

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but has anyone heard anything about the end of the "Emergency Closure" back in 2010?

"This closure will provide for public safety while the BLM considers a more permanent solution." is still on the PDF from 7 years ago.

Is the closure of the whole east side the supposed solution?

https://www.blm.gov/or/districts/spokan ... er_Map.pdf

mcroberts307
Accomplished Gun Trader
State: WA

Post by mcroberts307 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:23 am

Was out to Fish Trap on june 3rd. The barbed wire fence was down in multiple places, from the combine back toward the parking lot. The fence was also down up top, before dropping down to the tracks with people parked and shooting there. Four cars parked on the range by combine and trash was not so bad.