HB 1387: contact your representatives and make some noise!

Discuss legislation. gun control bills and local Law...
Forum rules
Please keep it civil...
madmartigan
City: Spokane, WA
Favorite Firearm: Evil assault rifles
Next Firearm: As many as I can

HB 1387: contact your representatives and make some noise!

Post by madmartigan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:33 pm

...The true 'assault weapon' against freedom is pernicious legislation...

HB 1387 is coming up for hearing before the State House Judiciary Committee on January 25th at 1:30pm. There are at least 4 other bills coming up at the same meeting but I haven't had time to read through those yet. 1387 is scary enough on its own, though, and we need to seriously raise some hell.

Some of the highlights:
- Requires license to possess anything they call an assault weapon (the definition of assault weapon contained in the bill is ridiculous but typical hoplophobe hysteria)
- Requires license to possess any so-called high capacity magazine
- Nails you with a Class C Felony if you don't keep your stuff locked up according to their arbitrary specifications
- Requires that you complete 'firearm safety training' every 3 years

Then it gets even scarier. The license application must contain name, address, telephone number, place and date of birth, race, gender, physical description, and driver's license or state issued ID card number. Not that they'd EVER want to know what you look like and where to come get you, right? :roll:

Had enough yet? Wait, there's more. The license application must also include the make, model, serial number of each 'assault weapon' AND the make, caliber and capacity of every magazine!

Outraged? Keep going. Two copies of your fingerprints. A full description of your secure gun storage equipment.

I could go on, but the most outrageous, infuriating, and terrifying requirement: "A full description of the lawful purpose for which the assault weapon license is sought". Yeah, you read that right...you have to describe, under penalty of perjury, why you want to exercise your constitutional rights.

Please, SGT, write and call your representatives NOW. I'm listing the members of the Judiciary committee below and have already sent each and every one of them an email.

Members of the House Judiciary Committee:
http://leg.wa.gov/House/Committees/JUDI ... fault.aspx

Laurie Jinkins (D-27) Chair (360) 786-7930 laurie.jinkins@leg.wa.gov
Christine Kilduff (D-28) (360) 786-7958 christine.kilduff@leg.wa.gov
Jay Rodne (R-5) (360) 786-7852 jay.rodne@leg.wa.gov
Paul Graves (R-5) (360) 786-7876 paul.graves@leg.wa.gov
Roger Goodman (D-45) (360) 786-7878 roger.goodman@leg.wa.gov
Larry Haler (R-8) (360) 786-7986 larry.haler@leg.wa.gov
Drew Hansen (D-23) (360) 786-7842 drew.hansen@leg.wa.gov
Steve Kirby (D-29) (360) 786-7996 steve.kirby@leg.wa.gov
Brad Kilppert (R-8) (360) 786-7882 brad.kilppert@leg.wa.gov
Dick Muri (R-28) (360) 786-7890 dick.muri@leg.wa.gov
Tina Orwall (D-33) (360) 786-7834 tina.orwall@leg.wa.gov
Matt Shea (R-4) (360) 786-7984 matt.shea@leg.wa.gov
Javier Valdez (D-46) (360) 786-7818 javier.valdez@leg.wa.gov

Capgun54
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
State: WA
Favorite Firearm: Saiga 21" 308
Next Firearm: Rec 7
SGT Supporter: Yes

Re: HB 1387: contact your representatives and make some noise!

Post by Capgun54 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:22 pm

DONE AND DONE, Let us the citizens get the word out to those that claim they know better that we do not approve these Bills.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death." Patrick Henry

bladebum
Retired Global Moderator, SGT Administrator and Founding member
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Glock 41

Post by bladebum » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:25 pm

Here's a direct link to the bill HB1387
http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?Year= ... umber=1387

It is the same as the Senate version SB5444
http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillN ... &Year=2017

This is the text of 5444.
http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/ ... s/5444.pdf

We need to oppose both bills so that the House or Senate can't sneak this by us.
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
"Life is Short, Don't Waste It"

Vorakam
Apprentice Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: All Saigas :)
Next Firearm: ALL OF THEM

Post by Vorakam » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:58 pm

2018-01-23 21.14.57.png
Opposed, I also kindly reminded our elected Representatives that said legislations would be a direct violation of "Section 24 of the Washington State Constitution." As all of these proposed legislative items "Impair the right of the people to Defend Themselves and the State." To vote for this would basically equate to treason against the citizens of Washington State and will result in them being voted out of office and having We the people of Washington state bring formal charges against them in courts of law for direct violation of the Washington State Constitution."Updated response Below" :roll:
Attachments
2018-01-24 12.42.23.png
2018-01-24 12.42.23.png (129.86 KiB) Viewed 7689 times
Last edited by Vorakam on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"This isn't where I parked my car." COOPER

madmartigan

Post by madmartigan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:41 am

bladebum wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:25 pm
Here's a direct link to the bill HB1387
http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?Year= ... umber=1387

It is the same as the Senate version SB5444
http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillN ... &Year=2017

This is the text of 5444.
http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/ ... s/5444.pdf

We need to oppose both bills so that the House or Senate can't sneak this by us.
Received a reply from Senator Lynda Wilson of the 17th district in response to an email I sent her about 5444.
Thank you for your e-mail regarding SB 5444, SB 5463, SB 5992, SB 6049, and SB 6146. I am adamantly opposed to these bills. I firmly believe the best way to improve gun safety is through education and proper training on the safe handling of firearms by law abiding citizens. Additional gun regulations do nothing to reduce crime, only punish law abiding citizens, and give a false sense of security to those wishing to further restrict our gun rights.

Unfortunately, bills, initiatives, and proposals like these are being perpetrated on law abiding firearms owners across the nation. You may not be aware, but I am a certified firearms safety instructor and became one to encourage firearm safety and training for those who are looking to further their expertise in the safe handling of firearms. Rest assured – I hear you loud and clear – and stand strong right beside you.

Our 2nd Amendment Rights are under attack like never before. We need to remain vigilant.

Yours in service,
LYNDA
Let's send Lynda a 'thank you' for her support. I'm sure our representatives appreciate a little acknowledgement when they do something right, and plus it gives you another opportunity to reinforce your position. Her email: lynda.wilson@leg.wa.gov

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:54 pm

I got the same form letter (e-mail) as Vorakam above. :|
Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm" The warrior whispers back, "I am the storm"
"I am a sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Blacklion66
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Northport, WA
Favorite Firearm: S&W GOVENOR
Next Firearm: 25-20

Jacquelin Maycumber

Post by Blacklion66 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Received this message today

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about 5444 regarding requiring a person to be in possession of an assault weapon license in order to possess, manufacture, transport, purchase, acquire, transfer, deliver, import, sell, or offer to sell an assault weapon or large capacity magazine. Requires the chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county, within thirty days after the filing of an application of a resident of this state, to issue an assault weapon license for a period of one year from the date of issue. Prohibits a resident of a state other than this state from purchasing an assault weapon or a large capacity magazine in this state.

I am also opposed to SB 5444 and as this bill comes to the House floor for a vote, I will stand opposed and fight legislation that comprises our constitutional rights under the second amendment. The second amendment is the right that protects all other rights.

Thank you again for your email.

john51661
SGT Premium Supporter
State: Wa
Favorite Firearm: Lever Actions :)

Post by john51661 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:56 pm

This post got some national attention, when it was linked on the Steve Qualye website today(1/24). And when it was brought up on the Ted and Austin Broer radio show out of Florida. Thanks to Steve, Ted and Austin for helping get the word out.

links:

http://gsradio.net/shows/ted_broer/ (starts to speak about the bill at the 31:05 time) GOOD LISTEN!!

http://www.stevequayle.com (will now need to look at the 1/24/18 posts)
Last edited by john51661 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

melman
Accomplished Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: Russian AK-47
Next Firearm: AK-74

Post by melman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:57 pm

I think we are f**** The democrats have full control and they are determined to get this past if it costs them jobs. I mean their maybe some adjustments they might not get all their way but I don’t see them with Inslee who is willing to risk his job to get this passed. Looks like I’ll be working here but moving to idaho. To have to register all my weapons and mags every year give a full list why I want them and yearly renewal. First time they say no I lose my guns. They are trying to do what to California decades in 4 Bills. Dam so many people worry about Mexicans and southern boarder I lived in Arizona that’s least if my worry’s. I worry more about Californian liberals moving here with their money influencing anti constitution legislation. How many people on here be really willing to risk felonies to not register there stuff?

SGTAnnounce
Site Admin
State: Wa

Post by SGTAnnounce » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:16 pm

madmartigan

Post by madmartigan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:59 am

melman wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:57 pm
I think we are f**** The democrats have full control and they are determined to get this past if it costs them jobs. I mean their maybe some adjustments they might not get all their way but I don’t see them with Inslee who is willing to risk his job to get this passed. Looks like I’ll be working here but moving to idaho. To have to register all my weapons and mags every year give a full list why I want them and yearly renewal. First time they say no I lose my guns. They are trying to do what to California decades in 4 Bills. Dam so many people worry about Mexicans and southern boarder I lived in Arizona that’s least if my worry’s. I worry more about Californian liberals moving here with their money influencing anti constitution legislation. How many people on here be really willing to risk felonies to not register there stuff?
From another thread:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/j ... trol-b/#/0

In this article the Democrat representative from district 19, Brian Blake, stated his opposition to additional gun control legislation. This guy is a key vote (the Spokesman article says that if Republicans are unanimous in their opposition, and Blake votes against these things, the bills can't pass.).

Let's send supportive emails to Mr. Blake and let him know his opposition is appreciated and we're counting on him to stand with gun owners. https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/memberEmail/19/2

I got a brief reply from him and he just flat stated that "I oppose all the gun control bills." If we can keep sending polite supportive comments and let him know that his stance is supported, hopefully he'll stand up to the Democrat's idiocracy, and maybe even bring a couple more votes along with him. Even with a Democratic majority and an anti-gun governor, there's a good chance we can swing this...but only if we continue to make some noise! Not only to support the legislators who are already against the bills, but to influence those who may not have made up their minds yet, or are leaning towards voting against.

melman
Accomplished Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: Russian AK-47
Next Firearm: AK-74

Post by melman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:13 am

Sounds good will do thank you

madmartigan

SB 5444 moving forward

Post by madmartigan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:37 pm

Received an update from Senator Jan Angel today regarding SB 5444 (the Senate's companion bill to House Bill 1387):
SB 5444 is currently scheduled for executive session (a vote that will determine whether it proceeds to the Rules Committee and possibly the floor) next Thursday, February 1st. You can check its progress on the website (http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillN ... &Year=2017 ) throughout session. The bill report is publicly available and includes a summary of the testimony from the public hearing last Tuesday.

Thank you for passing this news on to other guns rights advocates. I will continue fighting for your constitutional freedoms!

Jan Angel
State Senator
Legislative District #26

Phone: 360-786-7650
jan.angel@leg.wa.gov
Considering the list of sponsors for SB 5444, this shouldn't come as a surprise. The potential for stopping this thing in its tracks is slim but now is NOT the time to lay down and just let it roll over us. Stay on top of your Senators and keep their feet to the fire!

madmartigan

Post by madmartigan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:51 pm

Back to HB 1387 again: I found that it's up for public hearing on the House Judiciary Committee's agenda for February 02, 2017 at 1:30 PM. They'll also be talking about HB 1122, which would make us render our guns useless for defense by requiring they be locked up.

Once again, here are the phone numbers and email addresses of the members of the House Judiciary Committee - make yourself heard!

Laurie Jinkins (D-27) Chair (360) 786-7930 laurie.jinkins@leg.wa.gov
Christine Kilduff (D-28) (360) 786-7958 christine.kilduff@leg.wa.gov
Jay Rodne (R-5) (360) 786-7852 jay.rodne@leg.wa.gov
Paul Graves (R-5) (360) 786-7876 paul.graves@leg.wa.gov
Roger Goodman (D-45) (360) 786-7878 roger.goodman@leg.wa.gov
Larry Haler (R-8) (360) 786-7986 larry.haler@leg.wa.gov
Drew Hansen (D-23) (360) 786-7842 drew.hansen@leg.wa.gov
Steve Kirby (D-29) (360) 786-7996 steve.kirby@leg.wa.gov
Brad Kilppert (R-8) (360) 786-7882 brad.kilppert@leg.wa.gov
Dick Muri (R-28) (360) 786-7890 dick.muri@leg.wa.gov
Tina Orwall (D-33) (360) 786-7834 tina.orwall@leg.wa.gov
Matt Shea (R-4) (360) 786-7984 matt.shea@leg.wa.gov
Javier Valdez (D-46) (360) 786-7818 javier.valdez@leg.wa.gov

rburke
City: Elk
Favorite Firearm: 9mm PCC
Next Firearm: TP9 EC

Post by rburke » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:27 pm

FYI the name of Rep. Brad Klippert is misspelled. KLIPPERT, not KILPPERT. Just an fyi as his email is also misspelled.

CheapJeep
Senior Accomplished Gun Trader
Favorite Firearm: 1911
Next Firearm: AR15

Post by CheapJeep » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:00 pm

madmartigan wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:59 am
melman wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:57 pm
From another thread:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/j ... trol-b/#/0

In this article the Democrat representative from district 19, Brian Blake, stated his opposition to additional gun control legislation. This guy is a key vote (the Spokesman article says that if Republicans are unanimous in their opposition, and Blake votes against these things, the bills can't pass.).

Let's send supportive emails to Mr. Blake and let him know his opposition is appreciated and we're counting on him to stand with gun owners. https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/memberEmail/19/2

I got a brief reply from him and he just flat stated that "I oppose all the gun control bills." If we can keep sending polite supportive comments and let him know that his stance is supported, hopefully he'll stand up to the Democrat's idiocracy, and maybe even bring a couple more votes along with him. Even with a Democratic majority and an anti-gun governor, there's a good chance we can swing this...but only if we continue to make some noise! Not only to support the legislators who are already against the bills, but to influence those who may not have made up their minds yet, or are leaning towards voting against.
I sent Rep Blake a note thanking him for breaking with his party to vote in support of freedom for the citizens of Washington. I think we should all do the same. A groundswell of support for his position may at some point make the difference in whether he stands firm or falls to pressure vote the party line.
WE ARE THE NRA

badorderbob
Accomplished Gun Trader
City: Post Falls
State: Idaho
Favorite Firearm: clips
Next Firearm: hi-cap clips

Post by badorderbob » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:44 am

emails sent! thanks for the post!

Semper-Fi 1970
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by Semper-Fi 1970 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:39 am

It would be nice if a Single letter was was placed here on SGT covering all the opposition to this that could be used by all to send to their individual reps or to all at once. This would show the reps the solidarity of a large group of citizens.

My .02

Sf70
Old bikes never die, they just get rusty and better looking!
Items Sell Faster with Photo's Attached: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21
Posting ?'s viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28

R.J.
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Spokane Valley
Favorite Firearm: AK`s & Glocks
Next Firearm: ....mmmmm

Post by R.J. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:50 pm

I sent a simple message to my reps, getting really sick of having to fight these idiots every few years. Ferguson is a real piece of work, & WA state is taking the lead in the WRONG DIRECTION!

Here we go again, & here I am again writing to oppose another attack against the 2nd. I am in fervent opposition to this & any other attacks from the ignorant tyrants that keep pushing these assaults on our right to bear arms. These laws, as always, affect only the law-abiding. I will no longer be punished for the evils of others, nor be subjected to draconian laws that treat me as a criminal. This not only violates the 2nd ammendment but also our own state constitution. Please fight this fervently. Thank you.
...one nation, under surveillance, unrecognizable, w/ smart phones & food stamps for all.

WTB - `82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.

BLM - BURN, LOOT, MURDER

bladebum

Post by bladebum » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:31 pm

SB5444, the Senate's version of HB1387 is getting some legs with a substitute bill.
http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/ ... 5444-S.pdf
We are running out of chances to knock this out... so if you don't contact your lawmakers now, it will be too late. Please read the bill.... It will make you very angry because it will forever change gun ownership in Wa State. :(
(29) "Assault weapon" means:
p. 5 SSB 5444
1 (a) A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a
2 detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
3 (i) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
4 of the weapon;
5 (ii) A thumbhole stock;
6 (iii) A folding or telescoping stock;
7 (iv) A second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by
8 the nontrigger hand;
9 (v) A flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator, or
10 threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, muzzle
11 break, or muzzle compensator;
12 (vi) A grenade launcher or flare launcher;
13 (b) A semiautomatic pistol, or a semiautomatic, centerfire, or
14 rimfire rifle with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept
15 more than ten rounds of ammunition;
16 (c) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a
17 detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
18 (i) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that
19 can be held by the nontrigger hand;
20 (ii) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor,
21 forward handgrip, or silencer;
22 (iii) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or
23 completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the
24 firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned, but excluding
25 a slide that encloses the barrel; or
26 (iv) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at any location
27 outside of the pistol grip;
28 (d) A semiautomatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle that has an
29 overall length of less than thirty inches;
30 (e) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
31 (i) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
32 of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip;
33 (ii) A folding or telescoping stock; or
34 (iii) An ability to accept a detachable magazine;
35 (f) A shotgun with a revolving cylinder; or
36 (g) A conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which
37 an assault weapon can be assembled if those parts are in the
38 possession or under the control of the same person.
p. 6 SSB 5444