Discuss local ranges...
ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
City: Post Falls, ID
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Fishtrap First impression

Post by ghillieinthemist » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:51 pm

I went to Fishtrap fo the first time this weekend. To say the least it chaotic and there are no designated areas. I will say this. It can be extremely nice. It has a ton of potential. A ranger showed up while I was there and gave me the 5 minute history. He seemed like a very nice person. He was just checking to make sure no one brought like washing machines to shoot at, something he should have to worry about. Just like message boards things can get out of hand quick. anyway. he asked how it was going and I said extremely windy and bitterly cold today..I might not shoot that much. He brought up the place and said he was hoping the government would sink some money into the place but I think we were both sure we were 99% sure they will not. I'd like to start some sort of donation committee or something to get some shoot lanes made...and still have it be free to the public...just a little safer and a little easier to keep in order. If this sounds dumb let me know. I know I have the desire to make it better...if anyone else does feel free to chime in. I have no idea about how it would get done or anything. I just know places like this are in danger of being gone forever depending on the wrong persons mood and any attempt to prevent that helps.
Do or do not there is no try.

khalvorsen87
Gun Trader
City: Spokane
Favorite Firearm: Howa 1500 6.5CM
Next Firearm: Ruger Precision Rim

Re: Fishtrap First impression

Post by khalvorsen87 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:27 am

Its been getting crazy busy last few years. Anyone have an idea why, are other places getting closed down or what? last few times I've been out there are always people out there shooting, and in all the different smaller shooting spots as well. 5-6 years ago I could go out on a summer Saturday and have the whole place to myself...

mcroberts307
Accomplished Gun Trader
State: WA

Post by mcroberts307 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:50 am

Because of people who can't follow the rules, they now shut down Suncrest each summer. The overflow of shooters , some of them move down to FishTrap.

Pacific5th
Serious Gun Trader
City: Cheney
Favorite Firearm: Depends...
Next Firearm: To many.

Post by Pacific5th » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:46 pm

I only go there on weekdays. Its to crazy and unorganized on weekends. People drive in and park wherever they want. People shooting in all directions. The trash is getting bad again. Last time I was there I ended up shooting with some collage kids that had a nice pistol set up. During a break in shooting (thankfully) a guy and gal drove right in front of us to the south end of the pit and set up near the area we were shooting rifles into to. They never stopped to see if we were done shooting or where we were shooting at. Like I said its chaos with to many people there.

ghillieinthemist
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: R25 in .243
Next Firearm: ???????

Post by ghillieinthemist » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:12 am

Its only a matter of time for something bad to happen. What can go wrong will go wrong and all the conditions are right for that to happen sooner rather than later.
Do or do not there is no try.

dmoua
SGT Premium Supporter
Favorite Firearm: Custom 300WSM
Next Firearm: Custom 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by dmoua » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:45 am

I no longer shoot there. Too many people just shooting wherever they can with no sense of direction and safety for other people. I'll drive two hours somewhere else to avoid the chaos.
Instagram @DMOUA_OUTDOORS

https://www.youtube.com/@DMOUA_OUTDOORS

T-Bone
City: Rockford,WA
Favorite Firearm: Marlin 30-30 Cowboy
Next Firearm: Ithaca M37 16ga

Post by T-Bone » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:59 am

The noise factor sounds like WW111. A series of ponds that provided waterfowl habitat and some occasional waterfowl hunting are now void of birds due to some ignorant line drawing by the BLM that allows the too nearby chaotic shooting. Even a trail hike to Fish Trap Lake requires ear plugs and some "am I really safe here" over the shoulder looks. I'm all for the shooting, but I think some new rules and boundaries need to be enacted with the increased use.

atomiccat2002
Apprentice Gun Trader
City: Spokane Area

Post by atomiccat2002 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:43 am

Can anyone give me the GPS coordinates to the fishtrap shooting area, I would like to check it out.

ExiledAmerican
SGT Premium Supporter

Post by ExiledAmerican » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:00 pm

https://www.blm.gov/documents/oregon-wa ... n-fishtrap
atomiccat2002 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:43 am
Can anyone give me the GPS coordinates to the fishtrap shooting area, I would like to check it out.
God made man, Samuel Colt made them equal.

atomiccat2002
Apprentice Gun Trader

Post by atomiccat2002 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:16 am

So anywhere in yellow is ok?

atomiccat2002
Apprentice Gun Trader

Post by atomiccat2002 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:12 am

Went to the corner of Sprague hwy and lake valley road, Fairly clean there just brass on the ground, I did a little shooting, Would be a good rifle spot, too bad I only had pistols on me :P

Pig Slayer
Serious Gun Trader
City: Sequim, Washington
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: Colt Delta Elite
Next Firearm: The next one I see!

Post by Pig Slayer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:28 pm

So, does anyone know if Fishtrap is still open to recreational shooting since we have such dry conditions?

Muethe82
Rookie Member

Post by Muethe82 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:05 pm

FishTrap is open. There is no tracer or incendiary rounds allowed and of course exploding targets. Just make sure you have plenty of water and/or shovel to be prepared to extinguish a fire. Hope this helps.

Pig Slayer
Serious Gun Trader
City: Sequim, Washington
State: Washington
Favorite Firearm: Colt Delta Elite
Next Firearm: The next one I see!

Post by Pig Slayer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:31 pm

Thanks.